A Conversation for Self Injury

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 61

Martin Harper

Well don't bite your tongue on my account... smiley - winkeye

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 62

Researcher 180122

i self harm - by cutting, burning and hair pulling and have done for many years. i also have borderline personality disorder and i have to point out that attention seeking is *not* a major part of that illness, it is that attitude which leads people such as myself to be treated so terribly by the medical profession and society at large.
i do wear short sleeves - if it is hot, just like anyone else would, i don't think i should have to take anything else into consideration unless i need to, i am ill - why should i be penalized for that, is my current outlook.
i do suffer from manic depression as well, which is another common illness suffered by people who self harm.
if you want some insight into mental illness from an atypical perspective (i'm like no other <lol&gtsmiley - winkeye come and read my website.

[URL removed by moderator]
thanks for listening.

angelbaby

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 63

Researcher 180122

nice to see onnone bothered to comment on my post. oh well...

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 64

Martin Harper

Sorry angelbaby - I wasn't aware that you wanted a response. smiley - sadface Thank you for sharing your story with us all - since the URL was removed, perhaps you could include a link to it on your home space or on some other entry?

Lucinda - *offers smiley - choc*

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 65

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Sorry, Researcher 180122, but I think that's not entirely fair. If I had been able to think of a decent response to your posting, I would have posted that. I think it better not to post than to post senseless messages. It's not that no-one here read your post or didn't have second thoughts about it. smiley - smiley
I'm that you are bitter about the perceived non-reaction.

Tube

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 66

Tube - the being being back for the time being

PS: That last sentence should of course read "I'm sorry that ...."

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 67

Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

*nods*. I'm kind of in the same position as Lucinda and Tube. I read what you had to say, and empathised. I've been there, I know.

I couldn't get to your webpage, as we can't post URL's in conversation forums, only in Guide Articles - so didn't really have anything to say in the way of follow-up.

Things I've learned on h2g2 No 32:
It doesn't mean that people here don't care, just because your posts don't get replies.

*offers smiley - hug*

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 68

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

A very good article. Just a few things I thought I could put in...

I self harm, and it is something I'm ashamed of - I cover up the scars as much as I can, which means that in the summer I boil to death. As now. smiley - erm I don't know about other people, but I really can't talk to other people about what I do - as far as other people are aware, I'm perfectly stable.

I had a very bad incident recently, and my doctor suggested that rather than cutting myself and running the risk of infection, I inflict temporary pain on myself, such as constricting my wrists with elastic bands, etc. For me, cutting myself is almost a grounding - you realise 'yes, I'm bleeding, it hurts', and you think twice about jumping out of that window, because that would hurt more...

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 69

Hi Emily

Yes I had a doctor suggest elastic bands to me too. Didn't work - for me, seeing the blood was the important thing, and rubber bands just don't do that.

I didn't want to go into a whole list of 'alternatives' mainly coz it'd make the article realyl really long. I do keep a webpage that lists plenty of things, as part of the UK Info and Resources site which is linked from the Guide entry.

I never used to show my scars either. I've become a bit more relaxed over time, also because now it's been a good couple of years since I last self-harmed, they've faded to pale white and are less noticeable. But I do empathise. Try 'hippy type' blouses, which have billowy long sleeves - I found those the coolest things in weather like this!

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 70

Martin Harper

What about tans? Do they cover scars? (or make them worse?)

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 71

Makes it worse usually. Scar tissue doesn't tan. So is more dramatic. I have pale, freckled skin anyway, so white scars can blend in more. And rarely tan smiley - smiley

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 72

Seeing as the conversations here have moved away from Peer Review and more into "article comment" type stuff.. does any passing scout want to recommend this now? Please? smiley - smiley

A579297 - Self Injury

Post 73

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

It's a very solid entry in my opinion
Don't worry - it'll get picked up soon, we do dig around...

Thread Moved

Post 74

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Self Injury'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

Thread Moved

Post 75

taliesin

Hmm, I wonder why they keep asking me to come and tell people, and when I get there... Oh, well. Congratulations, your entry has been recommended.. yadda, yadda... see the above... *sigh*

smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post