A Conversation for 'The Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingsolver

Flea Market: A578333 - 'The Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingsolver

Post 1

Nandi

http:///www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A57833

I've noticed that there aren't many book reviews of contemporary literary fiction in the literature section. And since I am always looking for the directions to a good read I thought I should follow the advice of my own desire. So herein is a review of novel I have recently relished, and I eagerly look forward to your feedback.

Since this is contemporary and recent book, should I include the publisher's details?

Also, I tried but failed to put the title in italics as per the English usage guidelines. Help will be appreciated...

A578333 - 'The Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingsolver

Post 2

Azara

I think you left out a digit from the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A578333

should work.

Azara
smiley - rose

Post 3

Nandi

Thanks Azara. I suppose there is no way to fix it in the original post?

Post 4

Azara

I don't think there's any way to fix it - from what I've seen in other threads, you're stuck with the opening post as it stands.

I'm sorry that I can't give you much comment on the review - it makes the book sound interesting all right, but in my case I read so many reviews in so many places that I don't think I'd go to h2g2 first for one.
Best of luck!
Azara
smiley - rose

Post 5

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Well, it is a nice review of a book I can't say I've heard about. I think the Guide is as good a place as any for book reviews and literary entries (recently approved articles included one on Margaret Atwood and one on Clockwork Orange). While I am immpressed at the quality of the writing here and a good synopsis of the book, I'm also left wanting to know a little bit more background about the book and its author. Do you think it would be good to add a paragraph at the beginning describing a bit about Barbara Kingsolver herself or other aspects of the book (when it was published, how it was critically acclaimed, etc.)? These are just my own thoughts, and you're free to disagree of course.

Yours,
Jake

Post 6

Global Village Idiot

I was pleased to see this book had been reviewed, but felt a little nervous about reading your article because the book's sitting in my "to read" pile, having been recommended by a couple of different friends.

What I would say is that you have to be careful to clearly differentiate the meta-text, the commentary *about* the book, from the summary of the text itself. To have an article open with a sentence which is not true in the non-fiction world breaks the "factual information" rule. When you are relating the story rather than reporting on it, maybe you should use italics or something to make it clearer.

Post 7

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

I agree with the previous postings and would like to see some changes made. Any chance, Nandi?

Post 8

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Nandi - this is an excellent article. I was just on the verge of recommending it, but realized that it is really a little too short. It would be great as an online summary to sell the book at a bookstore, but for an article, it should have more depth.

I would like to see a couple of pithy quotations from the book, perhaps some that help describe the characters better. Information on Barbara Kingsolver is unnecessary; that would be better in another entry about the author herself.

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi, Nandi,

I have to agree with previous comments - well written - leaves me wanting more informaiton.

You asked about how to italicize. Are you writing in GuideML? If so, then it is really easy - just insert before and after the text you want to highlight.

GuideML is quite easy, once you get the general hang of it (well, I only use the easy bits).smiley - smiley

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 10

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Hmm, as things are, Nandi has unsubscribed from this thread and left the place in June - which makes this one a case for the Flea Market

Thread Moved

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'The Flea Market'.

The author seems to have 'left the building'... Shame, as it's a superb book.

Return to Author

Post 12

broelan

Flea Market clean out:

Return to Author's space.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'The Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingsolver

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more