A Conversation for Selected Pretentious Literary Terminology

Notlob

Post 1

Vandervecken

I love this entry. It has taught me that, on the rare occasions when I write poetry, it is often iambic pentameter smiley - smiley

Yes, "Ipswich is the palindrome of Bolton" is an incorrect statement. Perhaps for the benefit of a lot of people, we should point out that it is also a meaningless one. A word doesn't have a palindrome in the same sense that it might have an antonym, an anagram etc. A word (or phrase) either IS or IS NOT a palindrome. Hence the quote "The palindrome of Bolton would be 'Notlob'" is also incorrect. It should have been "The reverse of Bolton would be Notlob." But that wouldn't have worked so well in the sketch, of course...

Notlob

Post 2

Sea Change

Not having lived in or even having seen either Ipswich or Bolton, my imagination wonders if, metaphorically, the experience of being in one might actually seem to be the inverse of being in the other.

This would be good information for a hitchhiker who had a miserable time at one of those locales.

Notlob

Post 3

Vandervecken

I've not been to Bolton, but I have been to Ipswich, and I can report that, according to your theory, Bolton must be a quite magical place smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more