A Conversation for Mitochondria - Power Plants of the Cell

Thank you

Post 1

Vandervecken

Just wanted to say thanks for a very illuminating entry. I didn't know about the mitochondrial DNA being maternally-inherited. How interesting!

Thank you

Post 2

Ommigosh

I heard a chap on Radio Scotland today saying that he analyses mitochondrial DNA (which is maternally inherited). From what he has seen, he reckons that 95% of Europeans are descended from just seven (7) women who lived between 10 000 and 45 000 years ago! I thought that was quite amazing.

Thank you

Post 3

Orcus

You should have watched Horizon a few weeks ago (assuming you are British smiley - bigeyes.
It was about supervolcanoes (hundreds of times more powerful than Krakatoa) and apparently a supervolcano erupted around then and they think that is what might have caused this.
Its a contoversial topic mind as not all scientists agree that mitchondrial DNA mutates regularly like a clock which is what they use to estimate this timescale.

Thank you

Post 4

milo

That is why a recent child was deemed genetically modified. It was created from a donor egg and a fertilised nucleus. The nucleus contained DNA from a mother and father and the egg had DNA from the donor inside the mitachondria. In effect the child had 3 genetic parents.

True story.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more