This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Beet greens from my garden

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

How fast the seeds grow! It seems like only yesterday that I planted four rows of beet seeds in my front garden. Now the leaves are big enough to eat, so I picked some for minestrone on Tuesday, and today I picked more for a pasta dish that also has ham and peas in it.

The greens are tender and tasty. smiley - drool

Post 2

Reality Manipulator

Paul I am very fond of beetroot and once I made borscht chilled soup but I do not have the recipe.

Can you use the beetroot greens in salads?

Thankssmiley - ok

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

We're growing lots of stuff for eating but none of it is ready yet.

Post 4

You can call me TC

We have had a few strawberries so far.

What are beet greens? Do you really eat the leaves of beetroot or is it another kind of beet? Are they like spinach leaves?

Post 5

They're a lot like spinach leaves. Beets are biennial. I can get greens from them this summer as well as next summer. The roots themselves don't interest me a lot, but this Fall I might pull up a few of the biggest ones and give them to someone who would like to make borscht.

I grew carrots in the same space a few years ago, and let some of them go to seed the second year. Some seeds from that second year germinated and produced more plants.

Post 6

ITIWBS

I always look for a good head of greens when shopping for beets in the supermarket.

Somewhat more tart than most leafy greens, good in soups, salads etc..

Post 7

They're delectable! smiley - drool

This morning, when I went outside to get my newspaper, I tarried a while and weeded the beet patch.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more