This is the Message Centre for Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Doctors Tomorrow

Post 21

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

smiley - cheersSF.

Doctors In A Couple Of Weeks

Post 22

Right then, the doctors was a complete waste of time.

The proper medical name for the lump in my chest is gynaecomastia and so far the web has been more use the the doctor I saw today. In my case the ultra-sound today showed that it was enlarged glandular tissue.

As a basic overview I got told very little that was new, the doctor had a hard time accepting that the lump in my chest was painful, didn't tell us about the drugs out there and won't consider surgery, his attitude appeared to be its not cancer it'll sort itself out. The doctor was telling me what the lump in my chest was like, no, I tell you what the problem is not the other way around. It's been sore for two years, I don't do any of the things that could cause this (drink/take illegal drugs/ I'm not overweight etc) and yet he still thinks it will go away. I don't believe it will.

I have a few problems with today then. There are drugs that can solve this problem (despite the side-effects : weight gain, acne, change in voice, nausea, etc. Side effects depend on the drugs taken), it does smiley - bleeping hurt when pressure is applied so I have to be careful, it is a large lump both the GP and the ultra-sound showed that and it's not changed in size. Now I have to make a fourth doctors appointment with my GP in a couple of weeks (so that he's got the other doctors letter) where hopefully I'll be able to get this sorted and I won't get told to use Primrose Oil and painkillers, I don't want to spend the rest of my life taking pills.

To really cap it all a couple of times when my mum spoke to nurses/doctors they assumed she was the one in for treatment. Read the damn forms its got a male name at the top. Just because breast problems are more common in females doesn't exclude the male part of the population from having problems.

In a way I wish had been serious, at least something might have been done about it. It's just annoying that until I get it sorted I have to live with it being sore and being careful what I do.

Post 23

IctoanAWEWawi

don't forget you are entitled to a second opinion from a different doctor.

Post 24

Which I'll probably get as soon as I can but I'll see the GP first. It's just annoying that I have to go and get a second opinion ,especially as it takes time and it won't improve while I'm waiting.

Post 25

IctoanAWEWawi

yeah, Doctor knows best and all that!
The other cheat is to feign forgetfullness of seeing your GP and drop into A&E - but they tend not to like you doing that. Plus I can't remember if you still have an A&E in your town.

From the info it sounds like your doc thinks it is due purely to adolescence and balances in the various hormones.

If it is still there in a couple of years then poss a problem.

P.S. reading up on it on the internet is never a good idea, you'll be convinced you've only got hours left if you're not careful!

Post 26

IctoanAWEWawi

"If it is still there in a couple of years then poss a problem."
which is not to say they shouldn't be trying to sort it out now, especially as it is so painful to you.

Post 27

<<The other cheat is to feign forgetfullness of seeing your GP and drop into A&E>>

Temptingsmiley - evilgrin

But why do I have to wait another couple of years when it hurts now? That's what annoys me, it's hurt for a while and it's not reduced in size or anything like that so why do I have to wait?

It's not just that it hurts, I don't like having a large lump in my chest, its embarrassing.

Post 28

IctoanAWEWawi

well exactly, they should be taking both those factors into account to treat.

Tell them that, make quite clear how it is affecting you and be adamant that you want treatment not excuses. Or at the very least tests to prove it is due to teenage hormonal imbalance and not anything more serious.

Post 29

I tried to make those points to him and he just wasn't having any of it, so I'll make another appointment and try and get a better outcome.

Post 30

IctoanAWEWawi

I do hope so - I guess some of them tend to have the 'oh its a teenager, he'll grow out of it' approach. Are there many docs at the practice? Try and find one who is a tad more socially aware!

Post 31

I'll probably try and find a completely different practice to go to, might be easier.

Post 32

IctoanAWEWawi

that is worth a go as well, yes!
Although pot luck as to whether you get a decent doc, unfortunately.
You could also, if you are selective, take print outs of anything you think is relevant from t'web, especially anything that is specific to your symptoms such as pain and ones that urge recognition of the psychological impact of the condition. Docs, even GPs, don;t know everything and can be prone to overlooking the human element.
If there are any new style health centres you might find a more forward looking trendy doc there.

Post 33

I didn't even know there were trendy docs smiley - winkeye Might do that, i tend to forget important points right when I need to use themsmiley - smiley

Post 34

IctoanAWEWawi

of course! They're the ones that aren't alcoholics and haven't forgotten about the whole helping people bit smiley - smiley

Post 35

Superfrenchie

smiley - sadface Oh dear, oh dear.
If you want, you can come over to see my dad; he´s not an alcoholic smiley - winkeye

I hope you can find some decent smiley - doctor out there that´ll do a better job than those idiots you´ve seen so far! smiley - hug

Post 36

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Doctors who don't take you seriously are a complete pain. Hope you get something better out of your next visits. And don't be afraid to bring notes with you to the doctor's: it's very easy to forget what you'd planned to say.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 37

Whats annoying me now is that it's started to ache and so far ibuprofen and paractemol aren't working. Its's not excruciating pain but it still hurts. I was going to book my appointment to day but I didn't, I'll do it tomorrow for next Wendesday which gets me out of games.*

Hopefully the doc won't try and give me the drugs, or if e does that the side-effects won't happen. Might do some looking into them actually,

*Getting out of games is always a plus, especially as I didn't turn up last week to "house softball" despite being explicitly told to.

Post 38

I've been doing various bits of reading on the internet about this and a lot of people have been saying that they first saw the doctor with it when they were a teen (15-19 yo) and told that it would go away, most of them are saying that they left until there mid 20's and it was still there and had to go back to the doctor.

Apparently surgery on the NHS is very rare.

Key: Complain about this post