A Conversation for Tea

review

Post 1

Zach Garland

Just a quick thought: It's explained on the front page that they don't want field researchers writing these things as if they were literally field researchers from another planet.

I don't know what they DO want us to write like, other than they just want us to write like ourselves, whatever that means. If I knew my own 'voice' I'd probably be writing novels by now and making as much money as DNA.

Specifically, the reference to 'earthlings' in your tea submission would probably be turned away by the editors, for reasons explained on this site's front page. Give that a looksee again and just redesign the submission based on that.

Personally, I love it. I'm just trying to be helpful based on what little the H2G2 editors have given us to go on. =)

review

Post 2

Orange-Utan

Well I like the tone, and is far more accurate than DA's. Personally, I know how to make tea. If people weren't brought up to make tea, why should the guide tell them?
It's not like "The Guide" is actually useful...

It's not like "The Guide" is actually useful...

Post 3

Zach Garland

Well, I'm sure DNA would like it to be useful as well as fun. Anything from movie reviews to recipies. People can just share what they know and theoretically this would become a grand repository of scrupulous minutiae. =)

It's not like the Guide is actually useful.......

Post 4

Wednesday Addams (sleeping, mostly)

But it hasn't. I'm only any good at writing from the strangers point of view, and I tend to think anything written from the stranger's point of view is good, you see? It's because I'm a stranger.

Zaphara
(and you don't get much stranger than a Beeblebrox!)

It's not like the Guide is actually useful.......

Post 5

Zach Garland

Well you don't have to write from a stranger's point of view. You could write from a distant relative's point of view, or a casual aquaintence's point of view. Just a thought.

review

Post 6

Dandelion Pegleen

Hi Trillian - sorry on being pipped by DNA. Nice article - but Russians DO drink tea. All the time. The great big metal vessels called "Samovars" are basically Tea urns. The reason why you may not know that Russians drink tea is because they drink it out of glasses, not cups. Just thought you'd like to know.

review

Post 7

Zach Garland

Americans drink tea out of cups OR glasses... or tin cups. Or our hands. Pretty much anything that will actually HOLD tea long enough for us to get it to our lips, provided we're actually DRINKING tea at the time...

We also eat fish and chips. However, we call the potatoes french fries and I have no idea why. Then some people dip the british fish and french fries into russian dressing. Food can get real complicated over here in America...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more