A Conversation for Radioactivity

re: momentum

Post 81

Silverfish

I have a few more comments to make

I am not sure if radiation should be pluralise (for example, in "namely alpha-, beta-, gamma- and neutron-radiations"). I have a feeling that this should be singular.

Also in the section on the uses of radioactivity, in the next to last sentence of the first paragraph, Radioactive is mispelled radiocative.

In the section on gamma radiation, there is mention of exposition to gamma radiation, rather than exposure to gamma radiation, which

Also, another point about "disaggregate". The reason I would prefer divide or split is that either word seems to convey the same meaning, but divide or split might be easier to understand. Personally, I feel that it is better to use shorter and less technical words if they convey the same meaning.

In the first paragraph, of one the sentences reads:

"The materials investigated by the Curies showed a radiation similar to the recently discovered X-Rays but generated by a by then unknown process"

Here, I think that "by a by then" should probably read by a then unknown.

There is also an inconsistency about whether Radioactive starts with a capital R, and whether it is hyphenized.

By the way, I am now a scout, and am thinking about recommending this entry.

re: momentum

Post 82

Dr Hell

Okay...

I have no idea if radiation can be pluralised or not. You tell me. For linguistic problems treat me as a complete ignorant.

The same applies to misspellings and capitalisations.

I feel the term 'disaggregate' is slightly better than 'split or divided'. Latter words seem to invoke another subject. The nuclei are not split by anything. They just stop sticking together. To me therefore the word 'disaggregate' seems more suitable.

"by a then unknown" definetly sounds better.

One of the Radioactivities is hyphenised on purpose to stress the origin of the word, maybe putting it in between '' would solve this problem.

BTW: Congratulations Silverfish for becoming a scout.

Bye,

HELL

Thread Moved

Post 83

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Radioactivity'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

Thread Moved

Post 84

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Yeeeee! Haaaaaaa!

Thread Moved

Post 85

Silverfish

Personally I think that radiation should be singular(radiation), rather than plural (radiations). I have noticed that there does not seem to be a problem with capitalising Radioactive, as it is only capitalised when it starts sentences, as it should be. However, sometimes Radioactivity is Capitalized, when I don't think it should be.

Also, you have a good point when talking about hyphenizations, as it does make it clear where the word comes from radio and active. I think the single quotes are fine here.

Anyway, things like this are probably things that can be safely left for the sub-editors to deal with.

Well done getting the entry recommended, anyway.

Thread Moved

Post 86

Dr Hell

Wooo... Hooo!

Yessss....

Hey...

Everyone... Have a: smiley - bubbly

Eh? Tonsil?... You wanna have smiley - stiffdrink instead?

Cheers!

Thread Moved

Post 87

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Thank you, no ice, please.

Hoy! Hoy! bluuuuurrrrrpppppp!
Sorry. Jewish revenge. I had ham yesterday.

Thread Moved

Post 88

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Congratulations Hellsmiley - cheers.
I didn't find time last week to look at it again, so now I will wait for the edited version.
Marjin

Hellavuh job!

Post 89

Spiff

Nice one Hell,

I looked at this a while ago but didn't really take part in your discussions of particle physics coz I'm too ignorant in that area!

Congrats, anyway! smiley - ok

Spiff

Hellavuh job!

Post 90

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

The power of Peer Review, eh?!

Congratulations! Have a smiley - stiffdrink on me.

FM

Hellavuh job!

Post 91

Orcus

Well, I can't get to my email to find out, but I assume from this the editors have taken up, my recommendation smiley - winkeye

I don't think I need inform you any further on the editing process smiley - smiley

Congratulations smiley - cheers

Hellavuh job!

Post 92

Dr Hell

Orcus? You did it again?

(Hands over smiley - stiffdrink)

Cheers, my friend,

HELL

Hellavuh job!

Post 93

Sea Change

Radiations plural could be used in a medical context, in which either dosages or treatment sessions (called 'fractions') are referred. If the treatment is complex, different kinds of radiation will be used, and in order to get paid by third party (not such a big deal with National Health, but still important in the USA), I can see an oncologist putting together a report in which he would need to say this.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Radioactivity

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more