This is the Message Centre for The H2G2 Editors

Good-bye, and thanks...

Post 1

Lord Groundhog

I've finally realized what I'm feeling. Loss. I can't exactly call it grief; that would be pretentious, as I didn't know Douglas Adams except in his public persona and his books. But I feel deep loss. I'm not ready to have to be in a world where he is not currently writing a book or preparing a film or working on something. I can't explain it, except to say that his cynical optimism and his combination of humour and concern made me glad. I regret that I never found a way simply to say "thanks" to him.

I will miss him.

Good-bye, and thanks...

Post 2

Demon Drawer

The suddeness of it all and the fact that he went while finally getting to write the script for the h2g2 movie really affected me. I suppose as I am someone who not so long ago was up to date with all the major Obits and wrote a number here for the guide. The fact that I missed this one because I didn't see any news at the weekend, and was told only when I called my father on Sunday to rib him about Arsenal losing the cup final make me really sad.

Douglas was probably the person who encouraged my boyhood imagination most to write. So I wrote a few essays at school not dissimilar in style to my most dog-eared 'trilogy' of books. When I saw a link to the old h2g2.com site I jumped at the change to actually write for the guide, a long held dream come true. My number of entries speaks volumes by how much I apprecate all that DNA had done for me I was ready to give some of it back.

I have a have written play which I now intend to get banck into and finish off. Plus I have started today to write a series of poems about the people and things who have their last moments all over the world some recognised by millions, some by just one, like a pigeon my fiancee saw die in Lndon yesterday. So this is a big projct and I'll see how it goes in the next year, but I'll try and do at least two new poems for that project a week.

Douglas was an inspiration, to me and I'm sure many others I'm sure he has spurred the writing skills of many of us especially those here. All the content of this site is a living legacy to a man who turned a radio comedy/drama set in space into a reality and beyond that into a cult. He always wil have pride of pace on my bookself, cassette rack and video library and even in the bathroom.

At least now he knows the ultimate answer.

Good-bye, and thanks...

Post 3

fe_mailnik

i know exactly what you mean and i couldnt have put that better. it feels really strange knowing that there will be no more from him. i miss the thought of wondering when his next book will be - how long the movie will be or sipmly if he has recently posted in his forum.

Good-bye, and thanks...

Post 4

Skorpeyon

I'm almost angry at myself for not having heard the news sooner. I found out that Mr. Adams had passed away on Monday. A teacher told me at school, and I didn't have the chance to get online here and re-create a new account until today.

I believe that all of Mr. Adams' fans will agree with me that we will never forget him. If you are a fan of his works, then you know how much they mean to every one of us, and how sad it is to know that no more works will ever be created by Douglass Adams. I am torn about his books. I wish to see them go on, but not without him writing them. This is, of course, trivial compared to everything else that people who knew him are worried about, it's just something that my mind keeps coming to rest on.

I just want to say that my biggest regret is that I never got to meet him. He was a great man, who invisioned a dream, and later made it come true himself. I admire him for that, and it is a great inspiration. I hope that there is a heaven, and that since I didn't meet Mr. Adams in this life, that I will have the chance to in the next.

Skorp

Good-bye, and thanks...

Post 5

Researcher 176457

I was away over the weekend, and without my towel, so only picked up the news recently.

I had the luck to meet Douglas Adams just once, but like the person he was he was happy to chat with fans for ages in a book store in London long after his signing session ended.

I send my deepest sympathies to his family and friends, he will be sorely missed by everyone.

All I can say is in his own words - so long and thanks for all the fish.

Good-bye, and thanks...

Post 6

Skorpeyon

I envy you. You were a very lucky person. I, unfortunately, only got into the books a little over two years ago, so I didn't go to any book signings or anything, and on top of that, I live in the US, so unless he did books signings over here, too (which I've never heard of), then I wouldn't have gotten the chance.

If I'd had the chance, I would've taken it.

Skorp

Good-bye, and thanks...

Post 7

Researcher 176575

I first heard of hitch hikers guide to the galaxy when my father spoke as it when I was too young to remember. I had always intended to read the books and managed to do so about 2 months ago. The storys were both enjoyable and mind bogling. I am 19 years old so as you can see hhgg has apeal throughout the age spectrum. Douglas adams was and is a part of brittish, internet and world culture. He may die but his legacy lives on.

Thanks Douglas

Adam

Good-bye, and thanks...

Post 8

Skorpeyon

I'm 18, and I know others who are my age who love HHGG, and I don't doubt that it is popular among teens in both the US and the UK.

Skorp

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The H2G2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more