A Conversation for Supertones

A519950 Supertones

Post 1

Froody Dude

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A519950

I think that this entry deserves to be edited because it provides important, factual information about a band that many people have not heard of.

It is accurate, to the best of my knowledge, and the writing is of fairly high quality.

The entry is readable and does not contain any blatent typos.

This entry might be able to persuade some to give this great yet underappreciated band a chance.

Please edit it. Please.

A519950 Supertones

Post 2

The Theory

Ok... hate to break it to you, but I very seriously doubt that this entry will even get the tiney's consideration for editting...

1) Only 1/1000000 people in this world have ever heard of a band called "The O.C. Supertones"

2) There is a slim slim audience on h2g2 who are even remotely interested in "Christian Rock"

3) And I hate to break it to you, but the Supertones suck really bad. Their best song was the accustic guitar/vocals only song that ended their "Strike Back" album...

Sorry Dude.
However, if your interest lies in "Christian Rock" (oh how I cringe at that term, rock can't be "Christian"), you may wish to check out the band Embodyment... (not anything close to "ska" thank god)...

peace.

A519950 Supertones

Post 3

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Hello, pacem theorum. Most respectfully beg to differ.
Keith Green was a Christian Rocker of some eminence before he died in a smallplane crash.
Larry Norman and Randy Stonehill are Christian Rockers of great talent and ability.
Little Richard and Carl Perkins were Christians, as was Buddy Holly.

Admittedly, many of the so-called 'Christian Rockers' are lame, but then so are many of the secular or pagan 'Rockers'.

Pops Staples and the Rev. Gary Davis are considered two of themost influential guitar players that ever lived and both were deeply religious in philosophy and music.

What are you doing in this corner pocket of the guide, trying to make it to postee of the day?

A519950 Supertones

Post 4

The Theory

I am not against those musicians... I think that their music is great...

However, the way I understand the world, being a Christian is making a consious decision to follow Jesus Christ. Music can not choose to do that... Niether can books or gift items and all of the other junk that "Christian Bookstores" carry.

I am all for Christians creating music and letting the world listen to it, however, to call it something like "Christian Rock" or "Contemporary Christian Music" is nothing more than a marketing scam thought up by messed up "Christian" music label owners, half of which aren't even Christians themselves.

The give semi-talented music to the "Christian" bookstores to sell for an outrageous price.

I love music really I do... but this is one of my pet peeves, so it is kind of nice to be able to vent now and then...

peace.

A519950 Supertones

Post 5

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

That's okay. I just welcome a chance to plug Keith Green.
His 'So You Want To Go Back To Egypt' is one of the finest albums of the eighties, but because it is 'Christian' it didn't have a hope.

A519950 Supertones

Post 6

The Theory

As well as many other "brilliant" musicians who were Christians then and now... Daniel Amos, Mike Knott, Adam Again...

peace.

A519950 Supertones

Post 7

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Now those I haven't heard of.
Of course, at my age, I have fallen behind in the new stuff and there is probably an entire decade I need to catch up on but I just circle like a dog and keep listening to the golden tones of my childhood, like Lou Reed's 'Satellite of Love', the Coaster's 'Smokey Joe's Cafe', the Who's 'Trick of the Light' and the complete recordings of Buddy Holly and Spike Jones and His City Slickers and Nat King Cole and Chet Baker and Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe and Terri Clark...
On the other hand, maybe I'm not missing much.
A little consistency never hurts.

A519950 Supertones

Post 8

The Theory

Yeah, they were all from the mid to late '80's, but got zero distribution, so not many people got to hear thier music...

anyway...

peace.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more