A Conversation for Sheep: The Swiss Army Knife of Livestock

Peer Review: A1343053 - Sheep: The Swiss Army Knife of Livestock

Post 1

Andrew Poland aka Corporal Yosarian of the Terranic Army, Assasin, Bounty Hunter, Thief, Philosopher, Thing AND Spork-ite!!!

Entry: Sheep: The Swiss Army Knife of Livestock - A1343053
Author: Andrew Poland--Researcher 251312 - U251312

Hopefully depicts the many uses of sheep.

A1343053 - Sheep: The Swiss Army Knife of Livestock

Post 2

FordsTowel

Nice piece, though many of the same things could be said for cows, pigs, and moose (Well, not the wool bits, though llamas might).

I am glad that there is one use to which sheep have been put that you chose to skip. This is, after all, a family site.

Don't forget that they have provided employment for many a sheepdog, too; and who ever heard of a pigherd?

smiley - towel

Post 3

J

I love this piece smiley - smiley The title especially.

However, I wish you would flesh these out a bit... it could use some further detail. For instance, consider making sections with and tags and writing more detail in the sections

smiley - blacksheep

Post 4

Xeno_Akhur

Very Good! Other than that, no other comment. smiley - smiley

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

You forgot another use of sheep's intestines: to make 'catgut'. THis was used until recently for the strings of musical instruments (violins, guitars) and for tennis rackets. It has been replaced in the last forty years or so by plastic.

Post 6

egon

HAggis probably deserves a mention as well.

Post 7

Andrew Poland aka Corporal Yosarian of the Terranic Army, Assasin, Bounty Hunter, Thief, Philosopher, Thing AND Spork-ite!!!

Thanks guys, since i finally learned how to use the guideml thingamajigger i thinik i may make a few changes, im new (kinda) so just try an be patient and help me along!

thanks again yall!
Andrew Poland
[email protected]
smiley - ale

Post 8

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

It might also be a good idea to put the entry through a spell checker, although if you like, I can go through and point out the typos for you. Easily done and fixed. smiley - winkeye

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 9

ok the changes are done, i hope i somehow incorporated yalls suggestions, if not just lemme know and consider it done.

thanks again!
Andrew Poland
[email protected]

Post 10

The sweetymunster enuf colacubes 2 feed an army!!

I like this, well done.. Also I am Welsh and now have picture of sheepy swiss army knives everytime I pass my local fields
smiley - rofl

Post 11

Pimms

Nice entry smiley - smiley

Don't forget sheeps milk used in some cheeses.
Also religious mention of ovines - popular species for metaphor in the Bible (unlike goats which get an unfairly bad press)
For balance it may be worth considering the downsides of sheep cultivation.

Pimms

Post 12

Researcher 177704

Sheep are also the main cause of the appearance of much of the British countryside. The grazing of areas such as the Lake District, for example, prevents the hills from turning into ugly scrub land as many of the plants are eaten off by sheep when they're still young. They're certainly a lazy person's alternative to lawn mowing smiley - smiley

smiley - rocket

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

I don't think you should mention biblical references to sheep and goats without doing some research because I think the biblical (Hebrew) word for sheep is the same as the word for goat.

Post 14

thanks guys, ill make the revisions and look into the bible thing a little closer.

yosarian

Post 15

Sam

When you're done Yosarian, give us a shout and we'll herd this great beast into the pen that is the Edited Guide.

Post 16

Woodpigeon

Hi Yoss -

I concur - good article! Sort of a true, HHGTTG entry I think! smiley - ok

A couple of typos -

usefull --> useful
polyurathane --> polyurethane
which can even, be fatal --> which can even be fatal
extreamly --> extremely
Every single product made from sheep employs many. --> Every single product made from sheep generates employment.
givin --> given

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon

Post 17

The Professor

time for some more technical fun:

"The one most important animal to the human" perhaps single instead of one?

"Sheep meat can be cooked" You repeat Sheep at the beginning of the sentance (it had been used to start the last as well) maybe 'it'?

'As a result of high quality' What?

'which can even, be fatal' no comma here

'The Sheep is an extreamly' someone already noted the spelling, but the word 'sheep' need not be capitalized as well.

'Every single product made from sheep employs many.' Many what?

That's all I've got on the first run through.

By the way, I simply love</> the title.

The Professor
Societas Eruditorum

Post 18

thanks guys, makin corrections/revisions!

yossarian

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

Let us know when you've made those changes and we'll have another look through it. smiley - ok

Post 20

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hmmmmm... Yosarian hasn't been around for a bit. But, he is a student, and may have been bogged down with exams and vacation and all that. Hopefully he'll be back soon!

smiley - mouse

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more