A Conversation for Special Air Service Selection and Training

Selection

Post 41

eigthdwarf

Anyone got any realistic benchmark real world fitness levels that one should achieve for ta selection? i.e. being able to run 20 miles in 2 hrs or number of press-ups and sit-ups etc. And is there a ‘type’ that is more likely to make it?

Selection

Post 42

King_duck

Guys,

Make sure you have your facts straight before you post!
You CAN apply straight for 21\23 from civvy street. There is a Pre-selection which will include a basic fitness text at your local centre. Most likely the bleep test in which the MINIMUM is level 12. At the start of the course you muct run 8 miles in under an hour.

As to mental attitude.... Thats what a lot of it will come down to. You WILL be knackered, will you manage to keep yourself motivated or will you just think f**k it and drop out.

Regards,

Removed

Post 43

Joyika

This post has been removed.

Selection

Post 44

Joyika

Wattare Bro

Listen, if you wear glasses, have you ever worn them on the tip of your nose............if you do it for long enough, and frequently, I guarantee that you will enjoy it. Also I think u will like your look in the mirror.

smiley - cheers

Selection

Post 45

Foxybrew

Interested in attempting Selection for TA SAS?
Get live advice and direction online from a serving member of the current training team-
If you are serious come and introduce yourself -
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/talk/thread.phtml/post897331/#897331

Selection

Post 46

super_al_

Being able to run 20 miles in 2 hours is about right for preperation before selection, once you start doing that fairly comfortably start adding weight and going cross country....press ups and sit ups arn't vital for selection, what the DS want to see is determination and you not giving up, but i would advise to be able to do 50ish press ups and about 70 sit ups...if you mean what type of guy makes it through selection, then the guy that just blends in, the grey man, sure, the DS will have a laugh and a joke with you, but that means they will know your name, you don't want that, the type of person that doesn't give up or moan about how sore his feet are...and of course a sense of humour, trust me, when your stuck at the top of mountain in the pissing rain and freezing cold, with no food, then you'll need to be able to laugh about it.

Al

Selection

Post 47

Foxybrew

Now at-
http://groups.msn.com/SASRSelection

Selection

Post 48

Joyika

By heck.....you gotta be pretty fit then. Do the rules differ if you want to be a medic/doctor in the special forces?

Selection

Post 49

PariahWolf

I am leaving school in the next few years and am very serious about a career in the forces with the eventual aim of joining the SAS.

My concern is my eyesight. I am well within army standards for eyesight and have perfect colour vision but do require glasses or contacts. As I understand it as long as you pass the army fitness tests and such you can still apply. I am wondering whether my eyesight will stop me from even applying for the SAS. I can read and everything just long distance I have a problem with.

Also what is the current position on Laser surgery in the army/SAS as all the information that I have found on the internet is out of date and conflicting.

Cheers,

Selection

Post 50

Joyika

Hello,

Concerning laser eye surgery.......I don't think there will be a problem with the Army. It won't affect your color vision but you will need to take the appropriate length of time off to let your eyes heal. Also it's expensive ( by my standards) - at about 1,500 pounds per eye. Healing time is quick though. I doubt the Army will pay for that, so u better fork out if u watt it.

I've had laser eye surgery + I think it's great. Had a bit of discomfort for 2 days, but I was off anyway.

Wattaray Brosmiley - biggrin

Selection

Post 51

bluenose_days

HI, I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONES.

ON THIS FORUM I HAVE READ THERE IS A LOT OF DIFFERENT VIEWS.
ONE PERSON IS SAYING YOU HAVE TO HAVE SPENT 3 MONTHS IN SERVICE OR 2 YEARS IN THE TA BEFORE APPYING FOR SELECTION. ANOTHER PERSON IS SAYING YOU CAN GO STRAIGHT FROM BEING A CIVIE.

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THER REAL TRUTH AND WHERE THEY FIND THIS INFORMATION AS I AM VERY INTERESTED IN TRYING OUT FOR SELECTION BUT I AM NOT IN THE ARMY OR THE TA?

CAN YOU APPLY FROM BEING CIVIE TO GO TA SAS OR STRAIGHT TO THE SAS?

THANKS

Selection

Post 52

Foxybrew

Hi there

SAS(R) will indeed consider applications from civilians provided they meet the neccessary criteria-

Aged from 18 to 32 without previous military experience

Aged up to 34 with previous military experience

Physically and mentally robust

Excellent eyesight

Strong swimmer

Able to commit to considerable training demands

Willing to deploy overseas

Read through the information on the following link and if you are seriously up for it why not give your local unit a ring -

http://pub10.bravenet.com/forum/848637794

Good Luck! smiley - tea

Selection

Post 53

super_al_

It depends, if you want to be a patrol medic you will have to pass the full selection course, however, you can become a camp doctor at hereford by going through the proper procedures and you will not have to pass selection.

Selection

Post 54

super_al_

If any one needs any advice about selection just leave a message.

Selection

Post 55

Foxybrew

More info @

http://groups.msn.com/SASRSelection

Selection

Post 56

Joyika

What do people think of the series ' Ultimate Force' on itc I think on Saturdays. Is that what it's like? I guess they have to be politically correct and the have afro-carribean + female soldiers.

Wattaray smiley - biggrinsmiley - smileysmiley - kiss

Selection

Post 57

SAS-MULE

There's been a lot in this 'conversation' about the physical preparation required to pass SAS selection. Personally I think it's guff. Many people, it's true, train for months. I didn't.

I went up to the Beacons for a week, tabbed about for three days, got bored out of my brain, and went home. That was the full extent of my preparation. A couple of weeks later, I turned up in Hereford for the real thing.

I was a civilian (though 21st SAS) and only the second one to attempt entry by that route. There were 120 men on the course, all regulars apart from myself.

I was 22 (the second youngest on the course), and I weighed 10½ stone - not big! 100 men dropped out within the first three weeks - we had 10 days pre-selection training in those days - and eventually eight of us passed, which was a lot. (One of us was RTU'ed after jungle training.)

Basically it's all in the mind. If you really, really want to be an SAS soldier (and you're not kidding yourself) then you'll probably make it. Is it tough? Of course, but it ain't impossible! And it's a good laugh.

That was back in 1968. Maybe it's different now.smiley - smiley

Selection

Post 58

Joyika

Yeah, congrats to you. You probably are a guy of extreme confidence. You do need mental stamina. I know it's not quite the same thing, but passing 5-6yrs of Medical School is mainly mental stamina too.

What u up to now????? Are you one of these rich business men types who are former Special Forces. ( I know a few you see, who said their Military life helped them in Business)

Wattaray Brosmiley - biggrinsmiley - smiley

Selection

Post 59

SAS-MULE

I need to disillusion you somewhat!

I wasn't the least bit confident. The youngest guy on the course was a Coldstream guardsman called Joe, and we became best mates. He and I used to look at all these huge para NCOs, etc, and think, if only six or so blokes pass this thing, how on earth are we going to be among them? Well, they all dropped out. Big isn't necessarily good.

As for fitness, the two fittest blokes on the course by far both dropped out during continuation training. One them practically ran the endurance march - did it in 12 hours or something incredible, and I think it was further then than now - but he wasn't SAS material. His heart wasn't really in it. He loved to be mega-fit, but the SAS is about soldiering, not the gym. That beret has to be the most important thing in your life - that's the whole key.

And medical school. I gave up studying medicine in my fourth year to join the Regiment. Best thing I ever did. Changed my whole life.

And as for being rich! Forgive the peels of laughter. I'm almost penniless, and I'm about to be homeless. The only accommodation I can afford is a tent, and I intend to end my days living in the open, travelling around on horseback. Don't join the Regiment in the hope of getting rich later. Mind you, they're all grossly overpaid these days. We used to get ten quid a week, including parachute pay which, allowing for inflation, is equal to less than £8,000 a year today. We did it for love smiley - smiley

Anyway, if you're thinking of trying, have fun. And good luck!

Selection

Post 60

Joyika

I doubt I could get in actually, and I'm sorry to hear about your present state. Surely you will be able to get some work somewhere + I would have thought with your SAS background, certain employers would love to snap you up. You could teach SAS skills to civilians even....

Shame you left medical school, the Government needs more doctors now + especially the Armed services. Still I guess medicine + surgery aren't for everyone.

I hope it all works out for you anyway + take care

Wattaray smiley - biggrinsmiley - blushsmiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post