A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

help!

Post 1

eljb

Today, after a good few years of not being on h2g2 and being prompted by the idea of the site moving, I decided to try and log back in. I couldn't remember my old password or username and my email didn't work - though, given I was contacted about h2g2 moving, I obviously changed to my new email address prior to taking my very long hiatus.

My previous account is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/user/U129266 and I've tried to look on the site for help as to getting back into it or emailing someone for advice, but I'm stumped.

I loved h2g2 while I was on here, I left because college, university and life got in the way, but I would appreciate if someone could help me, I'd like to return to my old page and not a new. I always remember the moderators and community of h2g2 as been a really nice place and I am still in touch with a few friends via it, so could someone please help me find a way back onto my old page. I'm feeling quite sentimental about it.

I'd be incredibly grateful,

Emily

help!

Post 2

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Hi Emily

I'll pass this message to the team of ACEs and our technical team. We've got all sorts of plans to reunite people with their old accounts! smiley - biggrin

So - hold on tight and expect someone to give you a proper answer to your dilemma.

Nice to meet you by the way - and we're hoping that a lot more of the original members will find their way back to the site.

smiley - ok

Lanzababy

help!

Post 3

Vip

Hi! I remember you from the first time around - lovely to have you back! Unfortunately for the next few weeks it looks like you missed the boat. :( A few years ago the BBC moved to a system called BBCiD for all their messageboards, and we all had to jump through a couple of hoops to do so. Unfortunately, after a short period of time they had to close the hoops down, which means that people like yourself aren't able to log back in to your old account. But - this is set to change. Because of the big announcement (read http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F77636?thread=8271224 if you're not sure what I'm talking about), this is going to change as we no longer will be using BBCiD. It is entirely possible that during the changeover we will be able to reunite you with your old account. I can't promise anything, but I know the tech team take this very seriously and have been thrashing out a plan called No Researcher Left Behind to try and get everyone reunited with their old accounts. The other option is to email the editors at h2g2editorial at the bbc dot co dot uk, but in honesty I know they're running around like the proverbial chickens at the moment regarding the move. For now though, it's lovely to see you and I hope you can stick around long enough to get into the new place with us. :) Vip

help!

Post 4

Vip

smiley - simpost Heehee!

smiley - fairy

help!

Post 5

eljb

Thank you so much!

It's been a very long time since I was on here, I started in 2000, left in 2003...lurked for a while...and I can't believe it's been so long since I left.

I know for a fact that I must have changed my email over, because I would have done it the summer of '03 which was when I left school. I changed all my accounts over to it after a slight incident.

Anyway, thank you for passing it on and for any help and advise you can give me to get back to my old page.

And it's very nice to meet you too, it's nice to know that h2g2 still has the friendliest people frequenting its pages. smiley - magic

Emily

help!

Post 6

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

See! that smiley - fairy Vip popped up like magic smiley - magic

There is a plan, as she said and it will all be made as simple as we can make it.

smiley - zen

(glad to see you here Vip - I wasn't sure who else might be subbed to this page) smiley - biggrin

help!

Post 7

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

You'd be amazed, Lanza smiley - winkeye

Emily, you have a message in your Personal Space, which also gives you the link to Brunel, as Barlesque is still very glitchy smiley - ok

Now, I'm going to add you to the list on the 'No Researchers Left Behind' thread smiley - run

lil xx

help!

Post 8

Elentari

Yes, you would be amazed.

help!

Post 9

Vip

The ACEs get everywhere... smiley - ghostsmiley - silly

smiley - fairy

help!

Post 10

eljb

honestly, you step away for five minutes to have some lunch and there's already lots of lovely people helping sort things out!

Thank you all for you help.

Emily

help!

Post 11

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - wow and I remember you too... smiley - wow I can't wait to see all the researchers who may return, and make the 'no researcher left behind' team, very* busy smiley - snorksmiley - magic Here's hoping you can be reunited with your origional user account smiley - zensmiley - magic

help!

Post 12

eljb

hello again! A face (name) I remember!

It's funny, I still keep in touch with a few h2g2 people via email and facebook, but it's funny how many I can still remember just from the names! So many people to catch up with smiley - smiley

Now just to remember how to do guideml, smiley tags and how to get around! It's amazing what you forget, when I left I could have done every smiley without looking!!

Here's hoping I can get back to my page, I'm sure that's where I left my towel!

Em

help!

Post 13

Vip

Oooh, just one thing - try going to www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2 rather than www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2 and you will be magically transported back the wonderful world of Goo, Alabaster and Brunel. smiley - smiley And hopefully get less errors (the new skin is pretty, but still in beta. smiley - winkeye).

smiley - fairy

help!

Post 14

eljb

Thanks for the tip!

Key: Complain about this post