A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

h2g2 for palmtop computers

Post 1

Researcher 31914

I have a 3Com PalmIII palmtop computer. I would really, really like to be able to read h2g2 on it; I could use it like a travel guide 'proper', and enjoy the benefits Ford Prefect and friends got from it in the book.

The easiest way that I can see for this to happen, is to have a page on this site from where a compressed folder of the guide-book-like articles from h2g2 can be downloaded from. I can then transfer the HTML files to my palmtop, and view limited pictures.

I would be interested in hearing from the Editors about how easy this would be to implement, and when, if ever, they will do it, and how.

My idea seems to be the beginnings of a way to implement one of the aims outlined on the home page. What do people think?

Post 2

Jim Lynn

This is where we're heading. What you're seeing now, with all the cool graphics, is just the window dressing for the heart of the Guide - the content. And (by and large) the content is words. Words are great - they don't take up much space. Whoever said a picture is worth a thousand words was probably talking about bandwidth.

Imagine a palmtop permanently connected to the internet. You'd connect to our servers, and we'd see that you're on a palmtop and only send the text. Your palmtop would display the data in a form that suits the device. This is what h2g2 *will* eventually become - read 'Message from the editors' on the frontpage and you'll see that's always been our intention.

The web is only one way to look at information. At the moment it's one of the best, but that will change.

Post 3

benjymous

Ideally what is needed is an archive of entries in plain text format that can be
downloaden for offline viewing. Then there could be daily/weekly (depending on how
often the guide updates) adendum archives which would contain new pages.

This way third parties could write viewer software for their platform of preference, which
would take the archive files and display then in an appropriate form (if the system has
net access then it could automatically check for new pages and download them)

Post 4

Yoz

Something that might be pretty easy is an AvantGo version for PalmPilot... however, we we've still got some major features to get out of the way before doing that.

(Have you seen the Newton?)

Post 5

Editrix

The Newton is still the best thing since sliced cheese. Feh, I say, on other palmtops since.

Post 6

Slacker

The trouble is, it's about 2kg of sliced cheese.

And who wants backlit cheese?

Tim

Post 7

Editrix

Ah, but Tim, it's still the best backlit cheese money can buy. smiley - smiley

Also, think on it. I'm looking here at my PalmPilot III and wishing I could tell it ... "I'm going to be in California tomorrow, change time zones for me when I get there." My Newton can do that. The Palm III just stares at me as if I'm insane (granted, it may have a point).

I find that 90% of the things I wish the Palm II could do, text-wise (gosh, =real= word processing, what a concept!), appointment-wise (for instance, it knowing when to switch for Daylight Savings & having changeable time zones), heck, even just the datebook ... the Newton already did long ago. It weighs a bit more. Big deal. I broke my back 10 years ago, and its not too heavy for me to carry daily. That's not too bad. I can't even pick up a cat!

A friend, after getting his first Newton, inscribed on its flippable lid: "DON'T PANIC." I think this says it all. It was the natural thing to do for one's Newton. A recognition of sorts. It was/is a Guide, in a lot of ways. I still mourn its departure from living hardware, as I talk to my Palm III in a wheedling voice and beg it to change time zones for me.

Post 8

Editor #6 of the Project Galactic Guide

This has been a worry of mine. I can't really see that TDV are going to do a downloadable version of h2g2...
It would presumably have to be greatly cut down... and I am not tlaking about the graphics...

Post 9

benjymous

well what else would have to be cut out?

The shockwave reports would have to (maybe they could be transcribed into text)

but otherwise all the information in the guide is textual - the graphics are just to make
it look nice - an offline version would have it's own gui to replace the graphics on the
web.

Post 10

Hoopy

I love the idea. If you want help making this a reality on Palm devices, I can help -- drop me a note at [email protected], and drop by www.quartus.net to see what I've done to date on the Palm platform. I'd be delighted to be a part of the project.

Hoopy

Post 11

Peta

Hmn had a look - a palm pilot webring - very interesting you obviously know your stuff..

I can't think of anything right now - but we are steaming ahead with the development - so keep in touch.

See press release on our company webpage

http://www.tdv.com

Post 12

Hoopy

I'll certainly stay in touch. Do you have a Palm handheld? I'd like to send you a demonstration app.

Hoopy

Post 13

Jim diGriz

I already use my Palm-V for browsing h2g2.

I have an Ericsson I888 phone with an Infra-Red port. The Palm-V runs HandWeb.

It has no trouble at all searching for and displaying articles; I haven't tried reading forums yet.

It'd be really nice on a Palm-VII, 'cos you wouldn't need to use the phone; just the organiser itself.

But the Palm-VII won't work in the UK. Oh well.

jd

Post 14

Jim diGriz

Just tried to read a forum on my Palm-V. It doesn't work.

Oh well!

(BTW, I really recommend the Quartus Forth development software for the Palm http://www.quartus.net . It's exactly what I've been looking for for a very long time!

Cheers, jd

Post 15

Peta

I have a Psion 3a. Very old but I love it. If you have something that will work on that I would be interested - thanks

Our WAP systems are moving full steam ahead. We live in exciting times.... smiley - smiley

Post 16

Hoopy

Jim, that's great to hear. Thanks!

Neal (Hoopy)

My take.

Post 17

Charon

Well, I recently got a new cell phone that has a WAP-compliant browser onboard. It uses the "HDML" and "WML" formats, which are similar to, but not compatible with, HTML. What would be good is a version of h2g2 in this format. It shouldn't be very hard, just rewriting the static pages. The WML format even supports small "icon"-like graphics, so you could have limited pictures (such as Mr. "Don't Panic", and the h2g2 logo.)
More info on WAP can be found at www.wapforum.org, and more on WML and HDML at phone.com.

My take.

Post 18

Peta

Which country are you in Charon?

A WAP version of the guide will be up and running early next year. It's one of things that we are beavering away on in the background. It is definitely happening, so get your WAP phone ready ..

My take.

Post 19

Charon

Woo-hoo! Thanks! I'm in The U.S., by the way.

My take.

Post 20

Ted

In fact, we soft-launched our WAP service today. I'm not sure which of the US operators actually support WAP services, even if the handset itself does (I'll assume you have a Motorola since the Nokia 7110 isn't available for GSM 1900 or TDMA yet).

Nonetheless, if you can reach our WAP address, http://wap.h2g2.com, it should work for you. We'd be interested in your experiences.

Key: Complain about this post