A Conversation for What is God?

What ISN'T God?

Post 41

Aurora

Any person who didn't want /any/ living thing to die couldn't even die themselves, because of all the living parasites and so on in our bodies.

~~A~~
smiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - star

What ISN'T God?

Post 42

Neugen Amoeba

**readng Aurora's post**
**re-reading Aurora's post**
**re-re-reading Auroras's post**
Ok. I'm still confused. What are you saying???

What ISN'T God?

Post 43

Aurora

Ah, I love to confuse smiley - silly. I mean, we have little parasites and cells living in our bodies, so anyone who didn't want to kill anything, technically wouldn't even want to die, because they'd kill these cells and parasites!

~~A~~

What ISN'T God?

Post 44

Neugen Amoeba

....also millions of cells die in our bodies every day....

But I prefer to think of the millions that are born to replace the ones that....Ummmm....have gone to a better place....

A much more cheerey thought. smiley - biggrin

What ISN'T God?

Post 45

Aurora

The better place is occasionally around the U-bend with all the E-colismiley - monster cells, but let's forget about that... smiley - silly

~~A~~

What ISN'T God?

Post 46

Neugen Amoeba

Sorry Aurora, you'll need to help me out with your last statement as well. smiley - erm

What ISN'T God?

Post 47

The High Duke of Mars

It is also rather unsettling to think that most of the matter that makes up our bodies is cycled, I believe, every seven years. Isn't it odd to think that the person you were seven years ago has been excreted? smiley - smiley

Likewise much of the mass for which you carry memories is now either inanimate residue or living as other biomass. smiley - smiley

Cheers! smiley - smiley

smiley - fish

-THDoM

What ISN'T God?

Post 48

Aurora

And the stuff that /will/ make up your memories is growing, being born, falling from the sky as rain... Assuming the Big Bang to be true, we were basically exploding hydrogen at one point... I just find it odd/fascinating that life can come from, well, non-life...

~~A~~

What ISN'T God?

Post 49

Shaggy

Wow. Very good! Very, very good! You think well; I salute you.
Your original subject line, "What ISN'T God?" represents a part of the central view of Hinduism.

I have asked many Christians whether God is everything; they say yes.
Then in the same breath they attest to the fact that they are not God, part or whole. Hypocritically humorous, isn't it?

Keep thinking!
smiley - cool

What ISN'T God?

Post 50

Aurora

Does God being everything include volcanoes, nuclear bombs, and so on?

~~A~~

What ISN'T God?

Post 51

Yeliab {h2g2as}

I believe in God. I wouldn't say that he is everything, that doesn't work. If he was everything then how can he creat more of himself.

What God is is he is everywhere. With me now, even in me, or at least the Hold Spirit is (Trinity, argue that one. err...). God created things, not became things. He didn't become Adam and Eve but created them and gave them life (though I'm not a creationist).

Ask me a question about anything.

But how can someone who has no belief in anything (thereby having a belief in nothing. So having a belief) be able to argue against soemthing that doesn't exist.

Also form the above post, why are Volcanoes bad?

What ISN'T God?

Post 52

Aurora

Do you believe there is an evil, opposite, force in the universe (some might call it Satan)? Or that evil is just an absence of God?

Atheists (somebody correct me here, because I'm way in over my head since I'm not totally atheist) don't believe in nothing, they just believe there is no "divine power" ruling the universe.

Oh, and I know volcanoes are not all bad (fertile soil, etc.), I'm just saying that there are people that are put in danger from them because of where they live, and they may not have the means to move from that place.

~~A~~

What ISN'T God?

Post 53

Yeliab {h2g2as}

I can't say I'm really sure what athiesths beleive in, or not believe in if that's the right way round. But I do think that is is difficult to beleive that there is nothing.

>>I'm just saying that there are people that are put in danger from them because of where they live, and they may not have the means to move from that place.<<

But they are there gaining from the volcanoe that may kill them, but it's still a risk they are taken, and generally a know risk. But even if the volcanoe does erupt it's not God sitting somewhere making it erupt in in that way and fill those people. If God ran the world and everything in it like that then there would be no point to exisiting as we would have no choise about everything.

The whole point is that we have choice to turn away from God and he resects that, doesn't like it, despiratly wants us not to be like that, and will acept anyone who wants to know God. But we have this ability to live our own lifes, kill people and animals, waste resourses, pollute the oceans, but more importantly we also have the ability to get to know God on a personal level. And God couldn't have given us a more personal level then to send his son to live lie us and experience life.

Sadly, we had the ability to kill Jesus. And did.

Lucifer's story

Post 54

krn

actually the story behind lucifer(satan,devil,whatever) is that god created him as a perfect good angelic spirit being who later allowed himself to become corrupted by greed, selfishness, pride, and by norishing this sinful desire he BECAME THE SLANDERER AND OPOSER OF GOD. but he did start out good.

Lucifer's story

Post 55

psipower

Yes! I heard he was upset by the creation of us humans and was commanded to bow to Adam. Then in order to try and prove himself right, he has set out to show how weak and corruptible mankind is, and that he is better. So this universe is to show truth of matter. God sends us here with knowledge of right and wrong inside us, and sends a sequence of messengers to remind us. However, some unfortunate ones abandon this internal knowledge and ignore reminders, and get caught up with 'this life' and pursue illusion of power/wealth/family. (Illusion because it is destined to end. Then we are back to real life.) Those who followed the wrong guy find his promises were deception (just like we were told they would be) and those that walked the straight path can go back to the garden.

simon

Lucifer's story

Post 56

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Lucifer's story

Post 57

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Very true. It seems simple enough to me, but I guess that one could argue that we have just incvented wright and wrong outrselves so it's all a lie that it was given to us by the big G.

-Nothing- The definition?

Post 58

Proper Ganda (Keeper of torn maps)

As an athiest I just thought I ought to explain that I do believe in 'nothing' but simultaneously don't believe in anything. Perhaps this is an oxymoron.

Generally I tend to only believe in things that are founded on a strong scientific theory. I am also willing to change my mind at any time. I think it is dangerous to have 'faith' in something because it generally ends up with someone taking you for a ride. But I am willing to grant a temporary licence to theorists.

Post 59

Yeliab {h2g2as}

As a scientist I am cirtainly all for scientific theory. But what is that? Even this theory can be taking you for a ride. Such as the observations of canals on Mars. Nope, not quite canals, more like 'made up'. Theory is invented by us and can easily be demolished and brushed over when someting extra is found.

Relying on only scientific theory wont really help. However God isn't quite like that, sure I could say that we can never disprove God, but we can never, as a world (at least not yet) prove his existance.It is down to the individual to know or not wether he egists. I know he does, having met with him and having a relationship with him. Sure I could be dillusional, but this is my own personal 'scientific discovery' that I know to be true, not something that is brainwashed into me from the age of 2, that's where cults come in.

Post 60

psipower

Greetings Yeliab abd Proper Gander(!),

Being English of the UK, I grew up in a faint cultural background of 'church' hypotheses that made no sense. One day I came across a source that was alledged to be a scripture from God. This scripture asserted 'you have been given brain in order to understand' and 'if this was not from God, you would find therein much discrepancy/contradiction'. Now this is my kind of 'scripture'! It gives you direct hypothesis to test - find internal contradiction, or error, or accept I could be revelation from God. Now since we are in scientific mode here, let me mention two quotes quite out of keeping with theories of the time of revelation:

51:47 We constructed the skies with great force, and certainly we are causers of expansion.

and two verses later:

51:49 And of every thing, we make two of a pair, perchance you are reminded/caused to remember.

The book is the quraan, and you will find nothing in it that justifies Taliban - quite the opposite in fact! But how often do men act and try to deceive themselves they are not doing wrong?

But I am not here to preach. If you want to ask questions, fine, or read quraan (beware errors of translation that may look like nonsense - 7 odd years of investigating Arabic has cleared up my doubts). Beware too things that are called Islam, but not founded in quraan!

Key: Complain about this post