A Conversation for Smiths Salt 'n' Shake Crisps

Flavour & shake

Post 1

Spy

I remember those - and not whilst I was in the Midlands, either. Hampshire or Glasgow, can't remember exactly which.

As for the modern equivalent - I must try some of that Lea & Perrins powdered Worcester sauce on the plain crisps...

Flavour & shake

Post 2

Zathras (Unofficial Custodian of H2G2 Room 101. ACE and holder of the BBC Pens)

I remeber flavour and shake crisps being available in Gateshead. Shortly after the opening of the Metrocentre, on sale in Carrefores (or however that supermarket's name was written).

Someone willing to do the diligent research can therefore make a good guess of the year.

Zathras

Flavour & shake

Post 3

The Apprentice

Research on the localisation of the Flavour'n'Shake phenomenon was inconclusive. I don't recall them being around for long - that's certain - but no one I spoke or posted with could quite provide satisfactory regional information to create a possible release map. The short lived memory of the product suggest to me that it was a test product and not a general release that failed to capture public interest.

Is there a suggestion of less than diligent research going on here...?

Flavour & shake

Post 4

Researcher 128417

I'm sure that I remember seeing these on sale in Oxfordshire in the early '80s.

Thanks for a tast of nostalgia !

Flavour & shake

Post 5

rickydazla

I remember flavour and shake - they were and still are my favourite crisps of all time. I was in Merseyside at the time and it would have been 1984ish. They came in Fish n' Chips flavour, Worcester Sauce flavour and another that I didn't like - *racks brain* - no can't remember.

I've been waiting for Walkers to bring them back with baited breath (which is certainly what it smelt like after a pack smiley - winkeye).

Flavour & shake

Post 6

Aerk

I remember them as well, in Norwich, so they made it to the east. I used to have them in my Lunchbox when I was was at middle school (I think the early years), which probably dates them around 83-84 time. My favorite? Tomato!

Flavour & shake

Post 7

Researcher 33337

I remember tehm also. but distinctly remember beef flavouring. And this si as far afield as Milngavie near Glasgow

Flavour & shake

Post 8

The Apprentice

It seems that they did drift further afield... maybe if we can reach a concensus on the flavours now.

Flavour & shake

Post 9

rickydazla

That's the one - Tomato - absolute gak smiley - tongueout
smiley - tomato

Flavour & shake

Post 10

Researcher 33337

I remember Beef, and possbly a chicken one

Flavour & shake

Post 11

Spy

Prawn cocktail?

Flavour & shake

Post 12

rickydazla

not sure about beef, chicken or prawn cocktail - I'm sure they were all fairly off the wall type flavours

Flavour & shake

Post 13

Researcher 33337

I'm pretty sure there was a meaty one. Rabbit, elk? Who knows (With normal crisps too)

Flavour & shake

Post 14

j

Definately available as a multipack in the Glasgow area in the mid-late 80's. As with oversalting with multiple blue bags of salt in S&S, F&S allowed you to make new favours by mixing different flavour sachets (such as "Salt & Vinegar & Cheese & Onion") or "overflavour" by putting multiple sachets of the same flavour into a single pack. Putting all the sachets which came with the multipack in a single bag of crisps was definately not recommended (and before you ask, only about half way through the pack).

Flavour & shake

Post 15

Nathalie Hoyland

Yep....we had them in North Yorkshire in the mid 80's! I too really want them to be brought back out! Maybe a national campaign is needed! Forgot about the fish n' chip flavour! How funny! They were brill!

Flavour & shake

Post 16

VancouverBrit

I also remember the fish n' chip version in North Yorkshire in the 1980s. Only slightly less pointless than M&S's old "baked potato flavour" crisps.

Flavour & shake

Post 17

loudlittlecat

I also remember eating these whilst visiting my Grandmother in Manchester. They were disappointing, but I think could have been made to work well - maybe time for Walker's to try again?

Flavour & shake

Post 18

whatyouknowwas

I had these in Bristol, must have been 84/85? The trick to eating them was to open the pack, eat all the crisps then open the flavour sachet straight onto your tongue. Flavour explosion. If you did this with the tomato (which I agree was foul) it made your tongue go a lurid red colour.

Flavour & shake

Post 19

GoldenWonder

OMG I remember these!!! I just found this ago old thread whilst googling as no-one I know believes that these crisps existed! They were definately around in the mid 80's in Kent. I vividly remeber sitting in the garden with a variety pack emptying all the flavours into on bag ha ha! I remember Tomato Flavour, Prawn Cocktail, Cheese & Onion and I think Beef? I wish they would bring these back :D

Flavour & shake

Post 20

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I was looking these up for somebody else, and I pinned the release down to March 1988: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23574881@N06/5401714263/

Which means I was living in Aberdeen at the time, so they were definitely released in Scotland. That chimes with the possible "Glasgow" upthread - a lot of food products get "test releases" in Scotland because they get a wide range of different economic and ethnic groups in a small, controlled distribution area. smiley - geek

Key: Complain about this post