This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

Perhaps this site is confusing after all

Post 21

Milla, h2g2 Operations

We are aware of a long list of bugs. Some issues have prevented us on working off that list. They are not forgotten.
smiley - towel

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Thank you, Milla.

With all those bugs, it seems a shame DDT is banned. smiley - evilgrinsmiley - whistle

Post 23

Orcus

When Gnomon is sad about this place - I am positively depressed smiley - sadface

Still it's been a good run and it's good to see some of the long running stalwarts still here - there is hope - probably the oldest site I know on the internet -I will still be here with the tumbleweed smiley - smiley

Post 24

Recumbentman

The first forum I joined (1997?) was alt.folklore.urban which is still going as a google group. It is searchable back to April 1990. Here's a taste:

http://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.folklore.urban/Andrew$20Robinson/alt.folklore.urban/nkt5e4Ddp_k/oi2QJYmavS0J

Post 25

You can call me TC

Another forum I have recently joined, gransnet, should be a more modern design, being relatively new. But it doesn't have a lot of the features that I so treasure in the Ripley skins (also available in Pliny, I think)

Mainly - when I am in a conversation, the posts are not numbered, and there is no list of posts at the side, so that you can quickly refer back to a previous post. We have always had this on h2g2. In fact, we used to even have the tree system, where you could even follow sub-threads within a thread. That disappeared when we joined the BBC IIRC.

Post 26

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

If a person can expect to live almost 90 years [90 is the new 70], why do we let people make us worry about not having the newest fashionable stuff that dates as far back as yesterday at 3:15? smiley - winkeye

I was looking at Consumer Reports' annual car issue recently. I saw all the newest designs, but I couldn't help thinking that Fiat has a big seller with a car that dates from the fifties, and Volkswagen [the world's largest automaker] is still going strong with the Beetle and Rabbit/Golf.

We have something good. The world has billions of people old enough to care about content rather than fashion. If we have problems, maybe we're not realizing what they are. Or, it's a matter of resources. Individually, we have little chance of getting those resources. Is there still a group that we can appeal to?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for You can call me TC

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more