This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

Diaspora

Post 1

You can call me TC

Sometimes I despair of how far behind Germany is when it comes to variations in food. I picked - totally at random - three recipes off the internet for planning my week's food and shopping and all three of them call for "smoked paprika". Something I've never heard of and I will certainly not be able to find in my local supermarket.

I am assuming it's a powder, because it is measured in spoons. Excuse my ignorance, but this sort of thing really takes a generation or two to get here. Anything else I should be looking out for?

Diaspora

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Amazon, WalMart, and Williams-Sonoma have it.

In Berlin, Mitte Meer have it under the name Pimenton de la Vera.

Apparently there's store in Munich called Metro, which has it under the name " La Dahlia, Hot, Smoked Paprika"

Diaspora

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

It sounds like one of those things that no-one had heard of until Delia opened the world's eyes, but it isn't. It ain't exactly one of your run-of-the-mill spices though. I think I've seen the Hairy Bikers use it, and probably Alton Brown.

Diaspora

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit only for one product per shop
"Try the Lidl, they have herb mixes as well as 'smoked paprika'
Checking in kitchen smiley - erm 'smokey bbq' in the BBQ MIX brand. "

Hidden

Post 5

Sho - employed again!

Pimenton - you can get it just about everywhere

diaspora

Post 6

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Whereas here, everywhere sells at least three variations of the smoky stuff, and n'ere a smidgeon of plain paprika.

diaspora

Post 7

You can call me TC

Good heavens - never thought a sprinkling of spice would do the trick! Hello Lanzababy - not seen you for ages!

Thanks anyway for the guidance everyone - I forgot to look when I went out shopping, although I ought to have seen it because I was looking for rosemary among the herbs and spices and they're usually sorted alphabetically.

Is pimenton really the smoked stuff, then, Sho?

diaspora

Post 8

You can call me TC

Oh - and happy birthday, Sho! - (I've already congratulated elsewhere, but this is to let everyone else know!).

The smoked paprika was also called Spanish in one of the recipes, so that sounds about right, Lanza.

diaspora

Post 9

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I love happy endings! smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post