A Conversation for Don't Panic

Unwanted discussion

Post 1

Mathias Uncertain

Er, hello.
What it is is I put what I thought was an "entry" in as a discussion in response to my own page... er... is this making sense?
I put in a "discussion" on rhinoceroses which I have now correctly submitted for rejection as an "entry".
But I don't want the "discussion" cluttering up my page. Is there a way of ending and deleting a "discussion"?
I'll stop using all these "quotes" in a minute.
This is the best, most exciting and most useful thing on the net by the way.

Thanks

Matt

Unwanted discussion

Post 2

Bruce

There isnt a way to change or delete discussions at the moment - though the Powers That Be have said that it will be a feature in the future (I think I remember reading that it will be added somewhere - if I'm wrong sorry)

;^)#

Unwanted discussion

Post 3

Mathias Uncertain

Thanks... that helps... I think
:¬)

Unwanted discussion

Post 4

Researcher 91703

If this discussion was unwanted, why is it being discussed? And if it really is unwanted, why? I'm sure there are numerous charitable organizations willing to take this discussion in, or at least finance it until it can support itself. Wish all these discussions involving various topics involving peach pits and poisonous tomatoes floating about, I can not see where this discussions does not have its own merits. A discussion on unwanted discussions may be just what this country needs. For America, let's discuss this discussion we're having on unwanted discussions!!!!!!

Unwanted discussion

Post 5

puppy-eater

I am schocked and appalled at the behavior of you so-called "researchers." Discussing a discussion as if it was just so much property. I shudder when I think of that poor little discussion, huddled up in the corner, holding back tears as you discuss it to it's face. "Oh, I never wanted a discussion." "It was an accident."
All that li'l guy wants is to please you! It's creator, and the closest thing to a parent it has. You people make me sick.

Unwanted discussion

Post 6

Researcher 91703

Yes I agree. Also there appear to be some major co-dependency issues hear that warrant discussion on this unwanted discussion. Why are we so ready to discard this discussion? Can it be that this dicussion has not met our pre-conceived high standards. How can we expect a discussion to grow up and become fruitful (not withstanding any conversions referring to poisonous tomatoes, peach pits, Johnny Appleseed, or mysterious flat vinyl disks on the moon) all on it's own. No wonder it falls by the wayside and begins to travel with an unruly group of commentaries, lectures, and interviews. We're driving it to this miserable demise. We must nurture this unwanted discussion...tell it that it's wanted, needed, and perhaps worth discussing, and maybe one day it will move on to start it's own little discussions with the same nurturing conversation we have passed on to it.

Unwanted discussion

Post 7

Mathias Uncertain

Thanks for your support, people. First, let's NOT do it for America. This is an intergalactic homepage, and I'm British.

Second, the reason the discussion is unwanted is that it was a clone of a discussion that WAS wanted, but, due to an accident with a strand of DNA, a particle accelerator and a bottle of Jack Daniels, it has become duplicated, possibly even triplicated, and is fouling up the H2G2 system with tendrils of unnecessary ASCII text. I dread to think what kind of viruses are breeding in its putrescent flesh, and it must be destroyed forthwith.

In as humane a manner as possible.

Possibly by lethal injection.

Thank you.

Unwanted discussion

Post 8

Anonymouse

*nibbles*

But it is rather tasty.. perhaps we could devise another means of disposal? smiley - winkeye

Unwanted discussion

Post 9

puppy-eater

Perhaps if more people took the time to discuss safely, and always use appropriate protection, "accidental" discussions like this wouldn't be so common. If you had taken a few steps to prevent this, or even abstained from discussing completely, then we wouldn't have this problem now. If people like you had a little more self-control, our little guide wouldn't be having these problems with overpopulation.

Once again, remember to practice safe discussing.

Unwanted discussion

Post 10

Researcher 91703

Good point. It is the unnecessary and quite permiscuous bantering that causes the poor discussions to be brought into the world. But let us remember that once conceived, a discussion deserves every right and privilege to be allowed to commentate in our society. I am totally aghast at any ideals based upon the premature termination of any discussion while still in it's idea or notion stages. Why not allow this discussion to be brought into the world, so that it might be adopted by some other caring web page, e-mail, or floating banner that might not be able to conceive a discussion on it's own. My vote: Pro Discussing Discussions!!!!!!!

Unwanted discussion

Post 11

puppy-eater

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. If you're not prepared to handle a real live baby, you'd be doing it a much greater disservice by bringing it into a harsh world like this, full of poisonous tomatos, peach pits, furtive men sneaking apple seeds all over the place, lighting crew mooning astronauts, and other horrible horrors then you would by simply choosing not to have the discussion in the first place, or by stopping yourself before it's too late by speaking maybe only the first part of a word before realizing your mistake. At that point it's too early to even call it a discussion. It was barely a hiccup. Of course, after you've finished the first word, there's no going back. You have to keep going. To abort it then would be cruelty.

But what of the issue of teen discussions? You know, they start conversing a lot earlier these days.

Unwanted discussion

Post 12

Researcher 91703

The famous phrase, coined by the ancient Babylonians or on episodes of Little House on the Prairie...I can't remember which...."children should be seen, and not heard" was used in many instances in our culture to prevent the unwanted conception and premature exclamation of discussions. This phrase was commonly mistaken because children in those days before the comatose-providing utilities commonly in use today like Nintendo's, MTV, Old Navy Commercials, and of course, reruns of Captain Kangaroo, were not able to apparently sit down and stare at something as if in a trance. Evidently they were all too concerned about talking and such. Therefore, the phrase was coined, along with the use of "hush puppies" to keep dogs from conceiving unwanted conversations in which nobody could understand anyway errantly in the night, or daylight, disturbing such important world events as games of checkers, etc. This parable was applicable to the teens of that day, which since the lifespan was much shorter, constituted any one from the age of three to eleven, anybody older than that was already married with children, or an old maide, in which case nobody wanted to converse with them anyway.

Unwanted discussion

Post 13

Anonymouse

Always --ALWAYS-- wear rubber gloves when practicing interactive telecommunications... Remember... Safe text is the best text! smiley - winkeye

Unwanted discussion

Post 14

Researcher 91703

Possibly even better to speak with a microphone than to type, risking unwanted viruses spreading to hangnails, and such....however, this would once again lead to the conception of unwanted discussion, unless of course it is wanted...monogamous discussion, that is...as opposed to unsafe discussion in a chat group.

Unwanted discussion

Post 15

Anonymouse

If you insist on using a microphone and the bloatware that it requires to be effective, then be sure to leave the speaking end in it's factory-donated shrink wrap.

Unwanted discussion

Post 16

curious

But.... I like Rhinos! I mean they deserve disscussion too, don't they?

Unwanted discussion

Post 17

puppy-eater

I wish the idea of convincing teens to abstain from conversing until they're ready, but isn't the act of convincing them a form of discussion in itself? And I always say, "practice what you preach!"
Actually, I don't ALWAYS say that. I spend a good deal of time saying other things. In fact, I don't actually say that out loud all that often, compared to other things I say on a daily basis, like "Good Morning" and "I'd like a BLT without deadly poison, please."

But getting back to the point (or someone that thinks it to be a point, or thinks the point to be it, or thinks itself to be itself with a point to make regarding overly long parenthesis), I think the safest way to teach today's young people the importance of safe discussion, why not use some sort of flat vinyl disc, that plays music or spoken word without the aid of a CD player. I assume they're to be found in great number on the moon.

Unwanted discussion

Post 18

Anonymouse

You can still discuss rhinos... but now you do it from their very own page. smiley - winkeye

Unwanted discussion

Post 19

Researcher 91703

I am appalled that they are not discussing rhinos, or any other gray animals for that matter. Yet another example of an orphaned discussion. And they have the audacity to opt for "New Discussions" when discussions of such import are left abandoned, cast in the far winds, where only the faintest whisper of the sound of a rhino may be heard. I'll bet if Johnny Appleseed had attempted to plant poisonous rhinocerous' across the land, we'd have had it driven into our minds from birth. But alas, the discussion of the rhino must be left to dissipate, fading into the realm of the hippo, possum, elephant, gray mouse, and the gray flannel suit. I lower my head in shame and wonder what will become of us all.

Unwanted discussion

Post 20

Anonymouse

Orphans, orphans everywhere -- and not a tot to stink. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post