A Conversation for Don't Panic

Formatting Texts

Post 1

Shadowjack

How do I format an entry that I write up to look nice?
That is, with indentations and spacing between paragraphs and all that?
Or can I?
It's a little annoying to see it displayed as a big block o' text.

Formatting Texts

Post 2

Yoz

The best way to break up an entry into paragraphs is to use the P tag around them. For example:

<P>Here's my first paragraph.</P>

<P>And here's my second paragraph.</P>

Hope this helps!

-- Yoz

Formatting Texts

Post 3

Momomoto

In other words, you can use any sort of HTML formatting? Tables?

Formatting Texts

Post 4

wingpig

Yep. Unless you're clever they'll still only be within the middle column, between the user ID and the vertical bit of the goo. Beware of complaints from people reading the page on an extremely low-resolution screen if you put too many in and they end up with one word per line.

Formatting Texts

Post 5

Spanner

arrggh - i am horribly confused about this whole P tag thing - what do i have to enter to get an html thingie to work to break up my paragraphs. i know this is going to sound stupid but i put in (just like that) and i didn't get a break at all. I assume that the arrow brackets indicate that I am supposed to do some other special thing than just put arrows around P but due to my low rank on the latest internet user ladder (currently ranked #356,801) i am totally flummoxed. and i want to write long things, but i like white space and detest big blocks of text. help!

Formatting Texts

Post 6

Spanner

i still haven't worked out any flash html thing but it seems that when i push enter three times between paragraphs it puts a paragraph break in for me. i realise this is probably a really lo-fi way of doing things, but is there anything intrinsically wrong with it? sorry to bug you with such a basic question but i already asked my towel and it wasn't very responsive (not that i can blame it - it's nearly 1am here). Thanks

Formatting Texts

Post 7

wingpig

If doesn't work, try . This does the HTML equivalent of pressing ΒΆ (return). At least it should. Put two of them in instead of trying for a and it should leave a one-line gap between the two chunks of text.

Formatting Texts

Post 8

wingpig

Try ,

and

Try other combinations of the same srt of thing. Use lowercase if you have to. Eventually it'll work or you'll be asked to email the text to one of the Powers That Be, whereupon they'll say "Ah, we're using XML rather than HTML and therefore you have to do THIS" Whereupon you'll find that everything suddenly works.

Formatting Texts

Post 9

Spanner

thanks (humble, grovelling gratitude)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more