This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Something New

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

I've discovered how to put a border on a table in Pliny. One of the bugs in the Pliny system is that it doesn't display borders. I've discovered an obscure feature of the table tag that allows a border to be added and it works in both Ripley and Pliny.

I haven't tested it yet to see what exact circumstances it works in. But if it works, I'll be adding it to all my entries that have tables.

Something New

Post 2

Icy North

Tag or it didn't happen...

Something New

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

False alarm. smiley - sadface It didn't happen.

I was confused. The entry I tested it on already had code to make the table borders visible, using a method I devised long ago which unfortunately turns the table text invisible in Classic Goo, so it isn't usable as a general solution.

Something New

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

This was one of the features of "Barlesque", the BBC skin, that got lost when the system was transferred from the BBC. I was very impressed with the modern-looking single-pixel-wide borders on the Barlesque tables. I now know how to put these on tables in the old skins, but this method doesn't work in Pliny.

I suspect it is some sort of conflict between CSS files which could be easily fixed. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with CSS.

Something New

Post 5

Icy North

I love the way you describe your method which unfortunately renders the table contents invisible as 'not usable as a general solution'.

I'm having trouble applying it as a particular solution. smiley - smiley

Something New

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

It works in every skin except Goo. That's almost a practical solution.

Something New

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Still investigating...

Now I think I've discovered how to fix the bug in Pliny which pushes all images to the right, even when the GuideML code tells them to go left.

I've e-mailed the techs. I wonder am I right.

If this is correct, it means I've figured out the basics of CSS the Cascading Style Sheet language. I'm fairly sure that two more bugs can be sorted out by adjusting the CSS files of h2g2:

Smileys being pushed right instead of appearing in the text.
Tables being displayed without borders.

I'll wait for this one to be tested first, though.

Something New

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - zen

Something New

Post 9

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Great! Thanks for letting the techs know. smiley - smiley

Something New

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry A1031798 for testing this.

Something New

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

I believe I've worked out a solution to the Pliny "no borders on tables" bug. Now I'll look at the "smiley in text alignment" problem.

Something New

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

OK, I've now e-mailed the techs with possible solutions to three Pliny bugs, all relating to the display of Guide Entries:

1. pictures incorrectly aligned; they are always aligned to the right, rather than as specified in the PICTURE tag

2. smileys aligned right rather than displayed within the text

3. borders not displayed on tables when the border="1" attribute is used.

If I'm right, all of these can be corrected by editing a single text file. I hope the techs can get around to testing and implementing these.

Unfortunately, all the other bugs would require recoding so they're not ones I can do anything about from where I sit.

Something New

Post 13

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

Cool old Guy smiley - cogs always curious
"There is no extra space in the linking footnote popup smiley - smiley"

Something New

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

If you've a footnote that contains a link, Pliny displays a space after the link. Not a big deal.

Something New

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Oh, I see what you mean now. Thanks.

Something New

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

It's a week now since I sent my e-mail to the techs. I have not yet received any reply or acknowledgement.

Something New

Post 17

Baron Grim

We don't have a holding breath smiley unfortunately. smiley - puff

Something New

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

(*_*)

Something New

Post 19

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Please be patient with tech - they are working on other issues at the moment, but it has been received.
smiley - towel

Something New

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks Milla.

Key: Complain about this post