This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

H2G2 is really going downhill

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

It appears to be now acceptable on h2g2 to taunt fools. Supposedly intelligent people will insult idiots and refuse to apologise. People who are otherwise pleasant enough will laugh when the idiot takes offense at an remark on their personal space which is bad enough to be moderated. Bullying is apparently acceptable if the object of the bullying is Lord Wolfden. H2G2 was once a place I came to enjoy a chat, but I don't find reading through other people's insults entertaining.

I've had enough of it all. I'm withdrawing from all conversations except for those in the journals of my friends and those directly related to the Edited Guide. And I'm going to choose my friends carefully.

Post 2

I'm not really here

I'm sorry to hear that Gnomon. smiley - sadface Unfortunately it's always been seen as acceptable on h2g2 to taunt fools, I remember it happening years ago as well. I just stay away from those who bait others then mock them for getting would up and having their replies removed - they only continue for the sake of their audience, so I refuse to give them one.

Lord Wolfden appears to be one in a very long line - in a way I'm glad he is the first one you've come across. It's unfortunate that a lot more people have decided that he's the strange kid in the playground, while others in the past have only had one or two persecutors.

I've read the thread that I think prompted this, and at least one of the people in that thread is known for being antagonistic and agressive. I'm really disgusted that this is going on.

This is not the site that I joined.

I hope that I continue to be one of your online friends.

Post 3

U168592

I chose contributing to the rriting sections of hootoo and steering clear of 'chat' a long time ago G. A shame really, because I think there are some really lovely people about the place - if you can find them. Unfortunately, in most cases you have to become embroiled in pointless viciousness along the way...

Here's to the EG, UG and Post - at least they can keep my creative mind alive smiley - biggrin

Post 4

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Gnomon, please don't disappear from the rest of h2g2! Who will provide sensible (trustable) answers to the questions in Ask?

I broadly agree with you over the Wolfden situation. I know that it is often difficult to defend someone who does nothing to earn the respect of the community against people who otherwise contribute a lot. It amazes me just how blood-boiling people find him to be and what lengths they will go to to express that. I don't think I've seen whatever has sparked this but please don't withdraw entirely smiley - grovel

smiley - puffk

Post 5

frenchbean

I'm with you MJ. I stick to writing (when I have the time) and to the journal threads of people who I know are friends.

If it gets unpleasant, I simply unsubscribe. In fact, I did so on Saturday on one thread. It's not worth feeding the viciousness.

Gnomon... don't stop talking to me... you're one of my rocks in h2g2 smiley - hugsmiley - smooch

Fb

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

I'll still be there tidying up the Edited Guide and writing Entries.

Post 7

Moving On

Can I join in with you, please?

When I joined H2 3 years ago, I thought it was great - now, I stick to journal entries, discussions with a few good friends I've made>

I've decided that's about all I want to do on the Forum side of things - there's far too much back biting and general bullying and *politics going on. I want no part of it.

A laugh and a joke is one thing. To use others as butts of jokes is juvenille - AND boring.

Lord Wolfden is one case...and there are other cases of bullying and taunting and just - small mindedness going on, around site that I just don't want to look at, let alone take part in.

However, I'm finally getting the hang of writing and submitting entries, and want to get more involved with the UG.

It would be a shame not to "see" you around on the conversation forums Gnomon; but I can appreciate your reasens.

I think you were one of the first people who welcomed me, and we've passed the time of day a couple of times. I've always associated your name with the face of H2, if that makes sense.

Post 8

U168592

And what a pretty name it is smiley - winkeye

Post 9

Moving On

It tastes pretty good, toosmiley - smiley

I'm trying to find where "Applications" are on my PC so I can get it onto Notepad and e mail it to the Post.... but until the lads get home and show me which bit the PC is hiding Applications *in* I'm banjaxed.smiley - sadface

Never mind... I've been threatening to learn how to use this PC for a long time - now I've had this op., and the pain levels are down a bit, I can actually get out and do it nowsmiley - smiley

smiley - run to find a teacher with a sense of humour

Post 10

Elentari

You can get to Notepad by pressing Start - All programs - Accessories.

I've onbviously missed something over the weekend. I did run into Wolfden myself, but it wasn't as serious as the one you're talking about, so I don't think it can be the same one. It wasn't the "What Amazes You?" thread was it? smiley - erm

Post 11

Moving On

Thanks Elentari - I'll give it a go once I've repliedsmiley - smiley

No, twasn't "What Amazes You" (I've missed that one)

The one I'm referring to is a ruck between 2 researchers that really flared up over the weekend. It's been going for for ages now and it's really peeved me. At the risk of sounding middle aged this isn't what the site's all about, I thought?

Like I said, healthy debate is one thing - rhetoric and backbiting is another.

Right...Start - All Programmes -Accessories

I may be some time....

smiley - run

Post 12

Elentari

smiley - ok

Anyone have a link?

Post 13

Elentari

Never mind, I think I found it... smiley - erm

Post 14

Moving On

I do - but there are sooo many conversations, all saying much the same thing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F1892584?thread=1867308&skip=0&show=20 (Posting 60 on is where it got heated over the weekend) is one of the less vitriolic ones, but fairly indicative of the small mindedness and spite I want to get away from. It began between one Researcher stalking another, and it's gradually escalating thru insidious gossip. Not pleasant. And not needed, either, by anyone. I'm only aware of it, because I was chatting quietly with the newbie and the stalker invaded our conversation, firstly in April of this year, and then again (I suspect) in a new persona in the late Summer. It's been going on intermittently, since then. A lot of the quieter memeber of the Forum are heartilly sick of it, but obviously don't want to get involved. Life's complicated enough without extra aggro.

Post 15

Moving On

Simulpostsmiley - smileysmiley - sorry it takes me a while to type...as well as do PC driving!

But I've found Notepad, so that's half of the job done! Thanks for that, Elentari - I can refer back to how to do it now for next timesmiley - smiley

Post 16

Elentari

No probs! I had a look at that link - it's all very confusing. smiley - sadface

Post 17

Moving On

It is...and also, rather pointless.

I think it must be a case of airing Dirty Laundry in publicsmiley - sadface

I've given up looking for a reasen, but I do wish it'd just stop!

Oh well.

Am off to wrestle with the complexities of getting the Notepad onto an e mail now.
Catch you latersmiley - smiley

Post 18

Elentari

Yep. smiley - smiley Copy and paste ought to do it.

Post 19

Moving On

I've got *that* far ...now all I have to do is set up an account...and find out what a POP3 is.smiley - erm

And a server.smiley - erm

And my inside leg measurementsmiley - winkeye or password.

smiley - headhurts

There's never a teenagaer around when you need em!
smiley - wah

The writing and aditing's the easy bit (once I get my spellings looked atsmiley - erm)
But I do find PCs 'orribly complicatedsmiley - sadface

Post 20

Elentari

Are you looking for an free internet based email like hotmail, or one that comes with the computer like Outlook Express?

I've no idea what a POP3 is, sorry.

Key: Complain about this post