This is the Message Centre for Milla, h2g2 Operations

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 1

Milla, h2g2 Operations

My laptop has begun to misbehave. It sometimes freezes, and the screen goes blurry, or stripy with mainly black and some colured vertical lines.
So.
I decided that a backup was due, in case it decides to die on me in the next few weeks.
And I thought that since mum has a dvd burner on her laptop, it would be better to move files there and burn a dvd or two, than to burn twelve cd's on my own.
But it took an hour to figure out some way to copy files to dvd, because I didn't know what program to use - didn't recognise the one that suggested itself. So I tried to use the backup functionality of her firewall (N*rt*n). An hour passed while it slowly copied and verified files, then the smiley - bleep dvd wouldn't read on my laptop.
So now I am hoping that the Sonic program actually will produce readable data on the next dvd disc...

smiley - towel

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 2

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Huh. Well.
The disc is readable. But all of the files I wanted to back up didn't fit. And because of the failed N*rt*n backup, I ran out of discs. So I guess I will try to hold the additional data on my memory stick. And hope to the deities of computers that things survive just a bit longer.

Does anyone know how to rescue old emails from outlook express?

smiley - towel

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

No, I don't know how to dp it. There is a way, but I've never done it myself.

There was a similar problem on Ask the other day, maybe there's help?

F19585?thread=5537128

smiley - goodluck

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 4

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I don't use Outlook but I believe that there is a function where you can transfer your emails to your memory stick/whatever somewhere smiley - smiley

How old is your laptop? And if your display is going weird is it an HP Pavilion by any chance?

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 5

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I think it's about four years old... or five maybe, so it's about time for it to die. It's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo.
In Outlook I know there is a way to save off emails into a *.pst file. But this is it's cousin from the countryside, Outlook express. It claims to be able to export to Outlook, but throws an error when I try.

I suppose I should just print out what I want to save, and resign.

smiley - towel

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm with Outlook Express, and I know the husband once transferred my emails to a file which he then transferred to another PC.

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 7

Milla, h2g2 Operations

That's just what I would want to do! Perhaps not all of the mails, but some...

Could you ask how, please?

smiley - towel

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

Milla, I just tried. It's dead easy. Click on 'Dateien' (data?), then say: 'Export' . Then choose what you want to export, emails or addresses. Then choose the format (I went for textfile), then confirm. Then choose the place where you want it to be saved (I just chose 'my data' and clled it 'addresses', confirm again. Didn't even take a minute. I found it marked as 'Outlook addresses' and it is in Excel. smiley - ok

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 9

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Adresses I managed to get so I can read them in excel. But when I tried to export messages, it said that some MAPI thing failed, and won't do any good. But never mind, I'll live without them. I've reformatted before, and lost all my old messages then. I just need to be less sentimental I suppose.

smiley - towel

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

I just tried the same with the emails, but got the same error you got. Bummer.

Do you have an online email account? I guess your best bet would be to send those emails you don't want to lose to your online account. (I have all mine on google since the last hard drive crash where I lost everything).

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 11

Hati

I used to copy all the mailbox folder and paste it to the new mailbox after reformat.

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 12

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I don't... I'll have to think about it, I don't like having many email addresses and passwords to remember.

Maybe I can have them uploaded back to the webmail that I can use with this email address... it's no biggie. Thanks for the tip though!

I need to get some sleep now. See you another day!

smiley - towel

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 13

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - goodluck with it all. smiley - hug

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 14

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I've decided to do it today. Wish me luck, and I hope to see you soon.

smiley - towel
Milla

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 15

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Well, the machine lives.. now just to update all the necessary ehhh, updates...

It takes forever! I'm so bored!

smiley - towel

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 16

Hati

smiley - hug Good news anyway. smiley - smiley

Eeek! Computer moaning

Post 17

tartaronne

*Listens - and will hopefully learn*

I usually end up with a dead harddisk a pay too much to get data rescued at my computer shop.

Firstly I have sent all important files to a webmail - and then I bought an extern harddisk and copied all important files unto it - but alas not email messages nor adresses.

Key: Complain about this post