A Conversation for Orcs in Role-playing Games

Addendum

Post 1

Pete, never to have a time-specific nick again (Keeper of Disambiguating Semicolons) - Born in the Year of the Lab Rat

According to Tolkien, they also have no toes (if I read the scenes in Moria right).

Addendum

Post 2

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

The strange thing is that in many fantasy models or pictures etc. they are portrayed as green, not brown or grey, skinned. What was the cause of this misconception? (I'm only halfway through Fellowship of the Ring and are yet to encounter the original orcs.)

Addendum

Post 3

Rehash

I think I know the answer (Yes this reply is late; I originally read your' post about 2 years ago):-

Martians!
In the 60s and 70s martians were always represented as being green. So if you consider that it's probably going to be the same artists doing Orcs that are doing Martians on old fantasy mags then you may have part of the answer. If you're used to doing green Martians and get told to draw a Goblin you'll likely make it green.
Perhaps...

Key: Complain about this post