A Conversation for Scones

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 1

Researcher 34849

The scone recipe above will be great, but your consumption of them will be greatly improved if you beat up some double cream until nearly stiff (the cream, you foul pig).
Then serve the scones hot, with a knob of cream and spoonful of jam (best of all- strawberry). Make sure to take the very last of them and don't let your finer feelings get in the way. Rememeber you'll have to eat quickly if there are any Alpha Centaurians sharing the scones with you.

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 2

Ariadni (Keeper of Dolphins and Cinnamon Incense)

I can second that, but make sure you put the jam first and then cream on top of it. The other way around posses problems. And by the way, I also like them a lot with red cherry or blackcurrant jam.

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 3

Coming to thing of it, you should also consume them really fast if I am around!

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 4

MOM 34883

I'm drooling! However, I'm afraid I'm just a plain old American and
my conversion guide is kaput...please - SOMEBODY - tell this dumb girl from the colonies the equivalent of 225 grams and 230c oven.
I am anxious to try out this recipe, but hesitate to end up with library paste. THANKS A BUNCH

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 5

jacobjay

About 8 ounces, and 450 farenheit, but if I were you I'd multiply this by any large number that first comes to mind so as to ensure complete satisfaction at the time of consumption.

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 6

MOM 34883

Thank you very much for this info. I can see your point about multiplying - 8 oz of flour would only make enuff for li'l ol' me - what would I feed my family? I'm also going to try it with homemade raspberry preserves and cream - YUM YUM YUM . Well, guess, I'll get out the old mixing bowl and start. Again, thankee.

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 7

Kith

Once you've tried them, please, let us know what you think!

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 8

trina

Try replacing the milk with buttermilk and you will have truly exceptional scones (or "scohnes" as Bill Oddie would say). Also excellent with the scones and the cream is rosella jam.

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 9

Now, will someone explain to me what kind of fruit rosella is? I have never heard of it or its jam of course. Thank you in advance for the replies. smiley - smiley

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 10

Orange-Utan

Ahh, does this mean your a short o person?
How would "The Guide" pronounce scone? There's a whole aspect of life that has remained untouched by the web!
Anybody meeting people from other ends of the country must have noticed the different ways of saying things like bath, grass, scone, etc. And oddly people at university can get quite upset about it.
Does any of this make sense or am I wuldering?

Pronunciation

Post 11

Worried Physicist

Makes, perfect sense, I've moved school/college etc 9 times now, and no one can ever understand me!!!!

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 12

Alex Egg

Try with cornish clotted cream and fresh raspberries.......... mmmmmmm

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 13

Researcher 34849

Rosellas are a brightly-coloured Australian parrot. I have never heard of their use as jam. The idea is not very appealing.

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 14

trina

Rosellas really are plants, as well as being a rather lovely bird. They look a bit like the flowers of the banksia.

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 15

Dan Shaurette

Thank you for those conversions. As another American, I was wondering what "caster" sugar is. Is this granulated, brown, or confectioner's sugar, or something almost but not quite totally unlike one of those?

Scones, CREAM & jam

Post 16

Worried Physicist

caster sugar is EXTTREMELY finely ground sugar, it may be what you call confectioners sugar

Key: Complain about this post