This is the Message Centre for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Building character at 7.45am

Post 21

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Very true. In a Texas summer it's almost impossible to get *cold* water out of the tap - the sun heats up the ground to such an extent that it also heats up the water in the pipes under the ground. It's certainly less than lukewarm, by no means is it cold. However, the water I got out of the shower on Monday morning was icy smiley - brr

Post 22

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Good point, 2legged one. In the winter the water here comes straight off the mountains' snow. Nice to drink but a bit chilly for a shower. Now the summer, then's when it is nice and refreshing (for both). smiley - biggrin

Post 23

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Simulpost, but I'll be willing to wager a pint it's not as cold as here! smiley - laugh

Post 24

I'm not really here

My cold water taps are at the north side of the house, close to the west of the house which has a large coal shed sticking out creating shade. So downstairs there is always really cold water. Lovely! Upstairs doesn't get the shade, so it's not so cold, but I always turn the hot water down in the summer anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

Post 25

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I was trying to gage what temp our water is runnign at at the moment... My closest guess is that it is as cold as extra cold guinness smiley - erm however cold that is smiley - brr cold enough to sting your hands smiley - brr It gets warm in the summer smiley - yuk as this area is all effectively below sea level the pipes arn't any depth in the ground at all hardly so heat up easily in th esummer, and simularly I guess are effected by deep ground frosts in winter smiley - dohsmiley - snowball

Post 26

clzoomer- a bit woobly

*as cold as extra cold guinness*

First there was Farenheit.

Then there was Celsius.

Then Kelvin.

Now comes..... degrees of 2legs!!

smiley - rofl

Post 27

It happened again this morning - no hot water smiley - cross Which actually wasn't so bad because it took my mind off the blunderbuss of a hangover I had, at least for a short while.

Post 28

Well, guess what. Yep.

There have been intermittent problems with the water - sometimes the hot, sometimes all of it - here since this conversation started, and before that. A few years ago they put in a new boiler (supposedly). Every few months though, we get another notice that the water's going to be switched off for a day "for necessary repairs". I found one of those pinned to my door on Friday saying the water would be off from 9am to 5pm on Monday (yesterday).

No worries, I thought (naively), I'll be at work all day and won't get home until after 5.00 so it shouldn't affect me.

Silly Gosho.

I got in at about 5.30, ready for a shower after a hard day's slog. Barely a dribble coming out of the shower head. Okay, well they did say it might overrun... it can't be too long though before it comes back on. And in fact it came back on almost straight away. But the water was still cold. I suppose it would be if the boiler's been drained all day. Oh well, there'll be plenty of hot water in the morning for me to take a shower and hand wash some clothes* smiley - ok

Silly Gosho.

*Oh, did I mention that this complex recently changed hands (for, I think, the third time in the 15 years I've lived here) and that one of the first things the new owners did was to close the laundry room so they could build an improved office/community centre/fitness room? smiley - cross Yeah, they took away the laundry room. Their rationale is that they're going to put washer/driers into all the apartments... but only as people move out. In other words, if you move in tomorrow you get your own private laundry room, but if you're a loyal, long-time resident you're SOL - you've got to go to the land that time forgot aka the launderette. And I don't drive, and I work in a brewery, and I make a lot of dirty clothes. So now I have to do a lot of hand washing smiley - cross

How about spending some of that money on giving us a decent water supply smiley - grr

Post 29

Baron Grim

04FS! smiley - facepalm

Post 30

Bald Bloke

Sounds like time to trade in this castle Gosho for the next one.
or could you move out Friday at 23:59:59 and move back in at Sat 00:00:00

Post 31

Sadly, it doesn't work that way. My lease is for 12 months, and they announced the closure of the laundry room a few weeks after I signed it so I'm stuck with it. It costs a significant amount of money to break a lease. What's more, my rent here, as a re-signing resident, is significantly lower than it would be if I moved in today, or if I looked for another apt in Austin, which has a housing shortage and property value/rental rates similar to those of London. If you're in a place and you have a good deal, you stay put.

Post 32

Baron Grim

It seems like they broke the lease by removing the laundry room that you expected to use when you signed the lease. But I'm sure they won't see it that way.

Post 33

Yeah, I tried that one already.

Post 34

I turned on the shower this morning, bracing myself and girding my loins in preparation for another cold one and... hot water! *Faints* ::THUD:: ©®

Post 35

And the water is barely lukewarm again smiley - facepalm

Post 36

smiley - steam

Please note ironic use of smiley, cos that water is nowhere near hot enough to make steam, nor any kind of mist or vapour.

Post 37

Building character on Christmas morning because, after the water was off all day on Wednesday smiley - cross, there's no hot water smiley - facepalm

Post 38

Off to the bathroom now to see if we have any hot water today. Not only did we have no hot water yesterday morning, we had no water at all for about four hours on Christmas afternoon smiley - grr

Post 39

Stone smiley - bleeping cold smiley - facepalm Which probably means they'll shut the water off for several hours again today while they try to fix it. Time to fill up some pots and pans and bowls smiley - rolleyes

Post 40

Oh terrific smiley - facepalm

"As many of you are aware, our boiler malfunctioned early this morning. Our team and contracted technicians have worked diligently to restore both the hot and cold water today. At this time, we have been able to restore the property cold water. Unfortunately, we are unable to fix the boiler issue as specific parts are needed that are not located onsite or within the Austin area. We have placed an order for the needed repair to the boiler, however those parts may not arrive until Tuesday morning due to holiday closures and weekend hours.

We understand that this has been an extreme inconvenience to everyone here, and genuinely thank everyone for their patience and understanding."

No mention of any kind of refund on the rent, I notice smiley - cross

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more