A Conversation for 24-Seven - The H2G2 Space Centre Convenience Store

Suplies needed for a dark and dusty Brewery...

Post 1

Researcher 168814

hallo Witty. Seems like the 24/7 been a bit on the downside... Any new customers coming in lately? how´s Affy with his suplies. I think I will just go and get myself a slurpee...

*Heads for the machine...*

Post 2

Witty Moniker

Greetings, your Pluralness! smiley - smiley It's nice to see you again.

I had to reduce my online time quite a bit in early summer and things got really quiet here in the store. I guess that means:

a) That everyone couldn't stand to be here without me

OR

b) I really need to be a cheerleader to keep this place going.

But Sort has certainly kept the place nice and tidy, hasn't he?

Post 3

Researcher 168814

*From the slurpeemachine*

Yes, extrardinarily! I wonder if I still can find the way to the future through that scifi isle... Liked that one best of all.

Puppies needed for a dark and dusty Brewery...

Post 4

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

OOO!! What flavor did you get, E!??

smiley - hug Witty

Post 5

Researcher 168814

choclate cheescake...

smiley - erm just kidding...

Beerflavor.smiley - tongueout

Post 6

Witty Moniker

*Wonders... puppies?*

smiley - hug Dragonfly!

So, the 24-Seven re-emerges like Brigadoon from the mist.

*Whacks the Slerpee machine and pours one for herself, obtaining Pina Colada flavor.*

Yummmmmmmm.

Post 7

Researcher 168814

Pina Colada sounds good... I´ll draw one too. Before I start on the rosewineflavored...

Post 8

YES!!! PUPPIES!!!! smiley - tongueout My bakery manager is taking care of these puppies for her "assistant" who is off the whole month of August(I should get a little over two weeks, then... for New Zealand, shouldn't I!?? smiley - tongueout)!!! ARGH!!! The mommy dog was sick before the owner left, but she didn't tell my manager...

Now... one of the puppies died... smiley - sadfacesmiley - cry

And I don't like dogs!!! smiley - tongueoutsmiley - silly

But on a brighter subject.... BRIGADOON IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES!!! YAY!!!

Post 9

Witty Moniker

Not a wise 'assistant', in my opinion. She must be quite secure in her position to leave her boss with so much trouble for such a long time.

So who is picking up the slack at work?

Post 10

smiley - laugh Truth be told, this "assistant" really never did anything-- she refuses to learn how to set the floors(which I do), and all she really does is decorate cakes(which I used to do). The one thing she can do that I haven't learned how to do(in the bakery, anyway-- she knows how to leave her coworkers for a whole month, and I don't know how I could EVER think to do that!!! I care too much...) is make donuts. Wooop-ee-doo!!!

smiley - tongueout

BLEH!!!

Post 11

Witty Moniker

Okay, so now I'm thinking that this is a patronage job. Maybe your boss owed somebody a favor and hired this smiley - chick. Now she's stuck with her.

When I was a manager, I made a point of maintaining a certain distance from my subordinates. You can't be friends (but you can certainly be cordial) with someone you have authority over.

Puppies needed for a dark and dusty Brewery(See!?? Puppies make things happy and noisy!!!)...

Post 12

OOo... very wise of you, Witty!!! smiley - winkeye

Jami didn't hire Colleen. When Jami came to the store, our bakery was all ready self-sufficient, but we did need someone to really take care of the ordering and scheduling, and we needed more help. Jami will sometimes leave for four day weekends because she knows we'll be fine without her(one such weekend, Colleen, the "assistant" didn't show up on Saturday OR Sunday!!! But we did fine without!!!). So there. smiley - tongueout

No one but Colleen wanted the position of assistant, because it was thought that such a role would be very stressful and time-consuming. Colleen is making her own hours, and she gets away with a month away from work!?? Herrmmm... that doesn't sound right. She's lost what little respect the department had for her.

The thing with Wal*Mart is that it can take up to 6 months for you to get fired. First strike, you get talked to. Second Strike, you get written up... Third Strike, you get written up again(I think). Fourth Strike, you need to decide in ten days if you want to keep your job or leave. I BELIEVE that is standard practice.

In the bakery, there's a lot of absentee-ism. Bleh.

Puppies needed for a dark and dusty Brewery(See!?? Puppies make things happy and noisy!!!)...

Post 13

Researcher 168814

I am surprised at you´re discriotion! I always it´s a matter of "Would you please come into my office, just a minute...

YOU`RE FIRED!!!

...have a good trip home..."

Post 14

OH, if only that were the case!!! Some people have been fired on the spot for dating co-workers(boy I have a story on that one!!!), and one person supposedly got fired for eating a cookie in the bakery. I eat a million cookies back there!!! smiley - tongueout

Post 15

Witty Moniker

*Sighes*

So the rules are selectively applied. Why am I not surprised.

Post 16

Researcher 168814

*E eats a cookie out of the back of the 24/7 - waits what happens here? No surprise???*

Post 17

smiley - evilgrin The man who lived by non-Wal*Mart rules was fired the day I realised that he was a mean poopy-head. He was the store manager, and I was doing the right thing by informing him that my tendonitis was bad again, and I could not decorate cakes.

Basically, he made me feel as if I was an idiot-- that the injury was my own fault!!! smiley - sadface Herrrmm... I was NOT the only cake decorator HURTING at that point, and now a third has suffered as well. Wal*Mart could be in trouble if they don't look into "couching" their cake decorators. It's not a good thing. Bleh.

smiley - hug E.

Anyway, HOPEFULLY the double-triple standard left with the old manager.

Post 18

Researcher 168814

There is one of these stories, told in such a situation in Germany, you know, those neat little tales which you just could go without, if you´re feeling blue, but I am going to itterate it anyway:

"And there was this voice from heaven, saying to me: Be Happy and Glad, because things happening unto thee could be worse!

I was Happy and Glad, and things happening to me were worse..."

smiley - erm hope you can appreciate your cheesecake...

Post 19

smiley - hug

Post 20

Researcher 168814

smiley - blush

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more