A Conversation for Things to Keep Children Amused on Long Journeys

Keeping kids quiet in cars

Post 1

SilverSolstice

No personal experience, but a friend of mine puts the tapes of the Harry Potter books in the car on long car trips, and her 4 kids (from single-digits to teen) are Absolutely Silent. No fights. No asking "Are we there yet". They just listen to the story.

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I was allowed to take a carry-on box filled with action figures, stuffed animals, miniature cars, dolls and so forth. Then my parents helped me to drape a thin sheet over the backs of their chairs and beneath their fully lowered head rests. I then proceeded to play fantasy games for *hours* with a mild but persistent belief that I was doing so "in private."

I wouldn't recommend this for more than one child. But it was a super solution for an only child like myself. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Marie-Claude

Give the kid a handgun to play with. After the initial loud noise, they tend to stay pretty much quiet for the rest of the journey.

Post 4

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Hey, now. smiley - sadface

Post 5

lee lee

I always bring mini-sized games in the car. They make many small magnetic board games now but my favorites are the creative games such as, mini-magna doodle(one for each child please) and mini etch-a-sketch. There are also those water toys where you push a button and try to get various items trapped in or on various doohickeys. And most important.....BOOKS.

Post 6

botogol

The best thing we ever bought for our children for this was their own walkmans, then they can all listen to their own stories/music at their own pace. Brilliant. For a long journey they get a fresh batch of story tapes that they haven't heard before

Post 7

androyd

Nice idea. by the way botogol if you put anything in your homespace people will stop by to say hi.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more