This is the Message Centre for HVS

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 1

Existential Elevator

Just to pass on the news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6653175.stm

Frankly, I think we should move to make serious complaints.

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 2

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I don't eat chocolate bars, but this is still good to know. Thanks for sharing the article. I'll definitely let my other veggie friends know they need to watch out for animal rennet in chocolate bars.

I'll be on the lookout for any info regarding formal complaints, petitions, etc, and will post links here. I'll also see to it that my household boycotts all products by the companies involved.

Thank you for the info!

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 3

Existential Elevator

Thank-you very much so! If I find any formal petitions, complaints etc. I will also post them here smiley - ok

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 4

zendevil

I was just about to post that link. How ridiculous! This really annoys me.smiley - grr

zdt

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 5

fords - number 1 all over heaven

That's just stupid, what on earth has possessed them to do this?! smiley - yikes

Has someone started a petition yet?

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 6

I haven't found anything locally, but then again, I haven't been able to find anything that indicates that the US-based subsidiaries of Mars are using animal by-products. It's probably safe to assume, though.

I'll keep hunting for petitions and such and will definitely link to anything I can find.

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 7

Existential Elevator

http://www.petitiononline.com/MarsWhey/

Though I'm wondering if sending a lot of emails through their customer serviced dept. might be more effective. Not that I'm advocating that.

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 8

Existential Elevator

oh, and this too: http://masterfoodspetition.blogspot.com/

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 9

zendevil

Good news!!!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6673549.stm

zdt

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 10

Excellent! smiley - applause

I still can't find any local info as to whether or not US-based chocolates are being manufactured using animal rennet. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled in case I need to sign some petitions as well. Whether or not I actually eat the things, I see no point in using animal products when alternatives are readily available, period.

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 11

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Am I the only person who thinks that the reaction to both parts of this story (the initial announcement and the retraction) has been somewhat OTT? Maybe it's just the way it's being reported, but people on both sides are coming across as extremely silly. Vegetarian groups for blowing up the importance of the story to something it isn't, and Masterfoods for grovelling in the face of said jumping up and down. There really are more important things in the world than not being able to get a - not particularly good - chocolate bar. Let's look at some of the BBC coverage.

"The Vegetarian Society has condemned Masterfoods for putting animal-based products in its chocolate bars such as Mars, Snickers, Bounty and Twix."
"Many will be shocked to discover that their manufacture now relies on the extraction of rennet from the stomach lining of calves," the society said."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6653109.stm
'Condemned' is probably a word used by whoever wrote that piece rather than the VS themselves. 'Concerned', 'saddened', 'disappointed' would have been better and less sensationalist alternatives. But 'shocked' is a direct quote from a VS spokesman. I'm shocked when someone I trust tells me a lie. I'm shocked when someone I know does something out of character. I'm not shocked to discover that a corporation is doing... anything at all really, and especially not if they actually announce it!

"The Vegetarian Society said the company's move was "incomprehensible"."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6653175.stm
No it isn't - Masterfoods is a corporation. They'll do whatever they can get away with, whatever they can do to make the biggest profits. whatever they can do to up the price of their shares. Sometimes they'll even do something that most of us think is rather silly, but that doesn't make it incomprehensible. It means they haven't thought it through properly.

"Mars has abandoned plans to use animal products in its chocolate, and has apologised to "upset" vegetarians."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6673549.stm
One would think that if you're principled enough to become vegetarian you'd be the kind of person who doesn't go for things like Mars Bars in the first place, much less be "upset" about not being able to eat one because Mars are putting animal rennet in them. Makes vegetarians sound like a lot of crybabies and gives ammo to people who think vegetarians are a load of rabbit-food-eating tree-hugging lefties who would be a lot better off if they just ate a damn big hunk of steak once in a while. If you can't eat animal rennet for medical reasons, that's another matter altogether.

"If the customer is an extremely strict vegetarian, then we are sorry the products are no longer suitable, but a less strict vegetarian should enjoy our chocolate," said Paul Goalby, corporate affairs manager for Masterfoods.

The Vegetarian Society said it was "extremely disappointed".

"At a time when more and more consumers are concerned about the provenance of their food, Masterfoods' decision to use non-vegetarian whey is a backward step," it said in a statement.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6653175.stm
Now that's a bit more like it - the company showing a complete lack of understanding (for which big business is well-known), and the VS showing a bit of restraint, which will always get you a better reaction when you've got a cause to fight.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I say five words to you? Green and Black's Maya Gold.

Mars Bars? I wouldn't touch 'em with a bargepole - animal rennet or none.

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 12

Mmmmmmmm, Green and Black's smiley - drool

I'm more upset about the "extremely strict vegetarians" comment myself. It's comments like that that encourage people to think that 'vegetarians' who eat fish is okay. Sorry, it's a huge pet hate of mine that smiley - cross

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 13

I know what you mean, fords. That's one of my pet hates as well. I've actually known people who called themselves vegetarians, who ate fish regularly! And referring to vegetarians as "strict" or "extreme" makes vegetarianism sound like something negative, something for the lunatic fringe.

Never heard of Green & Black's. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate in general- I think the last time I bought an actual candy bar, I was around 13. But why the need to use animal products when there are alternatives available?

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 14

Existential Elevator

Those people who eat fish are pescarians, and I'm annoyed by how often people confuse vegetarians and pescarians.

I take your point Gosho, about the more principled among us going for that wonderful fairtrade Maya Gold [or, the slightly cheaper Divine, which is what my local charity shop sells] but my studently pocket doesn't always stretch to that for a chocolate fix. My own general problem is that there are so many things which are vegetarian-ambiguous, and I think raising awareness is a good thing. Many vegetarians don't actually realise about the usage of animal produce in things which seem quite innocent, like confectionery, alcohol and soft drinks. I admit that the press has probably gone OTT, but isn't that what they're paid for?

Psychocandy - Green & Blacks is a company which sells organic chocolate, generally with few nasty colourings or preservatives. A lot of them used to also qualify as Fair Trade, but I think now its only Maya Gold that does [correct me if I'm wrong, anyone]. It's damned good stuff.. not the biggest chocolate fan myself, but this is enough to make my knees weak smiley - winkeye

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 15

G&B white chocolate is to die for, daaaaaaahling! smiley - magic

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 16

Looks like it's sold at Whole Foods markets in my area. I may give a try. I haven't had white chocolate in at least 20 years- might be time to give it another go. It looks like they do cocoa, too- that's something I'm interested in trying for sure!

I think one reason I've never been a huge fan of chocolate is that I grew up right around the corner from the Chicago Mars facility and every morning for the first fifteen years of my life, woke to a quite pervasive chocolately smell. I work near the Chicago Blommer Chocolate factory and get that same smell the minute I step off the train. It really does smell awful.

Masterfoods, Mars

Post 17

Anushodhak

Something to cheer for, seems Mars has reversed it decision... check the FAQs on theri website

smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post