This is the Message Centre for Sol

Sol: NaJoPoMo 17th: Interlude

Post 1

Sol

The Comet is ill - just a cold really - so she is taking a few days off her busy writing schedule to recover.

In the meantime there is me.

We made Christmas puddings today. Via the h2g2 recipe. I usually use Mrs Beaton's but I thought I would branch out.

A660836

The Comet had a lot of fun trying to transfer all the dry ingredients back out of the mixing bowl and onto the scales while I was hunting for the stout. Which I never found, so we had to use orange juice instead. The mess, however, was nothing to when she later fell of the chair while we were making banana bread (lots and lots of banana bread, but that's another post in another place), pulling half the flour/ sugar mixture on top of her. Do not cook with children if you are not willing to have the kitchen covered in flour is my, expert, advice.

Anyway, I microwaved the puddings.

I am sorry, I have spent years of my life watching Christmas puddings boil for the seven hours they need to boil for and microwaving them takes ten minutes and produces a fine tasting moist dessert. I should know - Dad has always zapped his in this way, but I still probably wouldn't have broken down and gone for it if I hadn't already had to admit defeat and go for the modern technology option last year after seven hours of boiling had not actually produced a firm-looking pudding.

There is such a thing as too much brandy.

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 3

Researcher 14993127

smiley - cat

Post 4

Deb

I'm reading Mrs Beaton at the moment, The Book of Household Management. I'm not far in, but it's hilarious and fascinating in equal measure. Last night I read how a hostess shouldn't show her guests any signs of the worry she feels that her cook might not cook things properly or her other servants might not perform as hoped smiley - rofl. Not exactly modern life problems, but a real insight into how we used to live (if we were wealthy enough anyway).

I firmly believe there is nothing wrong with the microwave. If the results are good, then why not. I wouldn't use it for baked potatoes because I don't like the taste or texture it produces, but I always use if for scrambled eggs. You just have to be careful not to overdo them.

Hope the puddings turn out great. And hope Comet is feeling up to writing her fab reviews again soon.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 5

Sol

I have a modern Mrs Beaton's. Well modernish. My Mother gave me the then current one when I went to uni. I dragged it to Uni and back. It's still the household management one. How to hire an au pair, spring clean and address the Queen in writing and speech. Sadly, they stopped doing them soon after that. I've got my Granny's old (but not original one) and I would have my Mother's 60s vintage one if she hadn't thrown it out. It was getting a bit dog eared. smiley - yikes I am compensating by buying any I find in Charity shops and the like. So far that's one extra.

Post 6

Deb

I have Marguerite Patten's ABC of Simple Cookery from the 60s which has no spine. The only things holding it together are the other books on the kitchen worktop!

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 7

Titania (gone for lunch)

(smiley - strawberry)

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Sol

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more