This is the Message Centre for Sol

Sol: NaJoPoMo 15th: a toddler's Guide to... using the London Underground

Post 1

Sol

Don't.

No, really don't.

Mama is still scarred after what was probably her only attempt to take my Superlative Big Brother on the tube. Dragging the pushchair up and down five million steps. Entrusting it to the escalators. Walking round and round the tunnels following the signs for the lift to the next level and then round and round the tunnels following the signs for the level after that. Coping with the insane British habit of standing right in front of the doors inside and out, refusing to budge for anyone getting on or off. The delays. The other delays. The cost.

So don't.

Take the bus.

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 3

Researcher 14993127

smiley - cat

Post 4

Vip

Noted. smiley - winkeye

smiley - fairy

Post 5

Deb

When I lived in London I would sometimes attempt to get the bus home from the West End to Tufnell Park (North London), but I found the constant stop-start of the bus in traffic would bring on my feelings of travel sickness and I'd end up getting off and walking to the nearest tube station. Only then I'd be in the hell that is the Northern Line AND feeling sick smiley - ill

But otherwise I would agree, Sol. Don't. Just don't.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 6

coelacanth

I agree. Always the bus. But then I grew up being taken on the bus everywhere in London too. With 3 kids under 3 I think my mum was very wise! (Old Routemasters, with a conductor, and a cord looped from front to back across the ceiling to pull when you wanted the next stop. Ding!)

Even now I always use bus in London and I don't have toddlers. A bus usually means a lot less walking too. I'm not scared of the Tube, I just find it boring. And I have a very poor sense of direction so going underground just disorientates me. But I love looking at the buildings and streets.
smiley - bus
smiley - bluefish

Post 7

Sol

Well, I must say I always used the bus before too. Can't stand the underground. British people do not know how to be on the underground. Drives me nuts. And, of course, yes, you get a better view.

Post 8

Titania (gone for lunch)

I rememember those buses where you had to pull a chord to ding from when I was a kid smiley - senior

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Sol

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more