This is the Message Centre for Titania (gone for lunch)

How's your Icelandic?

Post 1

Icy North

Hi Titania smiley - smiley

I was just updating my list of published references to h2g2 entries when I came across this one from the Icelandic Skemman repository. It references your Astrid Lindgren entry (A692840) - see the Heimildir at the end:

https://skemman.is/bitstream/1946/1952/1/siggaasa-ritgerd.pdf

My Icelandic is a bit rusty, so I've no idea how much they've lifted from your entry, but I'm sure you'll be able to read it smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers Icy

How's your Icelandic?

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

Oooo... smiley - bigeyes *runs off to check*

How's your Icelandic?

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - headhurts Even in writing, I'm only sure about every 10 word or so, can *almost* guess half of the rest and have no idea of the other half *can't help but trying anyway*

How's your Icelandic?

Post 4

Titania (gone for lunch)

Nope, takes someone more knowledgeable (not that I claim to be knowledgeable at all) in Icelandic to figure out what she used, sorry. But it's soo smiley - cool that someone found my entry and use it!smiley - boing

How's your Icelandic?

Post 5

Icy North

It shows what a fine entry it was. It must be one of the best on the subject or the academics wouldn't have recommended it smiley - smiley

How's your Icelandic?

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

The odd thing is that in Peer Review Gnomon managed to find a similar article in English in a paper - despite me basing my entry entirely on research material in Swedish, so that I could make sure it was written 'in my own words'. English and Swedish are much too different even for Google Translate, even the latest version, I've checked.

How's your Icelandic?

Post 7

Titania (gone for lunch)

Too different for direct translation, I mean...

How's your Icelandic?

Post 8

Icy North

That's strange. Maybe someone did exactly what you did from the same sources?

How's your Icelandic?

Post 9

Titania (gone for lunch)

That was what I was thinking at the time, but couldn't quite figure out if said person had translated from Swedish to English or vice versa.

And it's a great job your doing, tracing h2g2 entries like that! Would you have the A number for the collection?

How's your Icelandic?

Post 10

Icy North

It's at A46972182. I'm currently adding a long list of new ones (at least 100 more to do), then I'll split it into an entry for each year (as it's getting big). I'm also writing a Post article about it. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Titania (gone for lunch)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more