A Conversation for The Green Man

Just to expand...

Post 1

DaRC (cook, cocktail maker, cyclist )

The Green Man is usually associated with the Celt god Cernunnos who adopted the Green Man's role within the Celt Pantheon. Herne the Hunter (from the famous legend in Windsor Great Park) is also associated with him. The Gundestrop Cauldron allegedly depicts Cernunnos but you can never get scholars to agree on anything!

He made a re-appearance on and in English churches during the 13th Century when plague ravaged the country. The theory behind this is that the Christian church had said
"Become Christians, get rid of your old Gods, all will be just tickety boo and you'll end up in heaven."
The people thus gave up their old ways, but when plague came along things weren't just tickety boo so it's thought that the church builders hedged their bets smiley - winkeye and included the pagan Green Man wherever they could sneak him in. If you are dragging your kids round old English churches then you can keep them occupied with 'spot the Green Man'.

A fine carved example sits within the small town of Steyning's (in West Sussex) Post Office.

Just to expand...

Post 2

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

This is the basis for a very interesting Edited Guide submission but as noted by DaRC there is so much more to tell. I am thinking of Sir Gawain and The Green Knight and several other vague literary refernces...
Obviously some friendly scholarly input would help.
If nothing more is forthcoming (such as a move to the AWW or Peer Rveiew) we will feature it in the AGG/GAG section of the post (sometime in the Spring) and see if we can't get some more general input.
Meanwhile, try posting it at the AWW first:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A608799
or the Flea Market section:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A608762
peace
jwf

Just to expand...

Post 3

Auntie Prue

The choir stalls in Winchester Cathedral are thronging with Green Men. One of them even has a body to go with the head.

If ever I visit a church where I haven't been before, I always look for them - and surprisingly often find at least one.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more