This is the Message Centre for Sho - employed again!

Poppies to it :(

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

I have to say that I've read quite a few "poppy" type posts on this site recently and some comments by people who are otherwise intelligent and reasonable (sometimes reasonable to the point that I want to scream "stop being so PC") have come out with a load of guff.

Frankly speaking I find the whole hijacking of poppies by some sections of the British Media and population is getting more and more on my nerves, but the implication that I'm seeing that people like me, who cough up and wear a poppy because the money goes to help people who need that help, are bloodthirsty idiots who can't think for ourselves and - nearly - revel in the millions of deaths on opposing forces.

And as that is so far from the truth of it (anyone who knows soldiers knows that they have huge respect for the opposition - and anyone who knows more than a little about me knows exactly why I joined the Army myself)

I've wanted to go in a lot of threads with my slapping hand and shout "get over yourselves" smiley - grr

Post 2

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Any comments that I have posted along the way are my opinion only. I am not going to try to convince anyone who has their mind set that it is all about glorifying war and death. If they are not yet aware of the meaning that most people I know attribute to the day, my words won't have any beneficial effect.

And yes, some comments do bring me close to the 'screaming at the monitor' level ... smiley - erm

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

Thank you, Sho. That was one of the few reasonable posts I've seen on here. Somebody will certainly be along soon and point out that this is not the time nor place for your posts, though. smiley - erm

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

I'm also getting concerned about the level of mean spiritedness that is happening in some threads. The Downton Abbey is one - why can't people accept that some people like some stuff? So what if they like Downton Abbey or Eastenders or some idiotic brain candy? Each to his own

And what is it with the "I'm more clever than you" brigade? and the disparaging comments about the type of music people like...

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh, I guess I'm not subscribed to any of those conversations, but the language thread falls into that category, too, unfortunately. It seems to have moved on again now, though.

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

SO regretted starting that thread when I saw how it was going. GAH!

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

I think it is fine now. It was fine until somebody came back and started it all over again.

Post 8

Malabarista - now with added pony

I'm going to unsubscribe there now.

Post 9

HonestIago

That language thread was ridiculous. It was one of those where you want to say to people that being right doesn't exclude them from being idiots.

Post 10

Wand'rin star

{those interjections meant I had to read the language thread. I used to say I could order a beer in ten languages, but trying to do it today, I realise I have forgotten a couple}
The poppy trays here don't seem to have pins any more. So, although I've bought a couple, I'm still not wearing one smiley - starsmiley - star

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

I'll be wearing mine tomorrow. I feel bad that it's the same one I've had for years, but I just can't get my hands on one these days.

Can I say, though, that is it so great to see you back with your proper name? smiley - hug

Post 12

KB

Bit late for this year, but you could easily get one online: http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/support-us/buy-a-poppy

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

I know that wearing a poppy is a tribute to those who fought and gave their lives. But I also think that war is wrong, and we shouldn't forget that. Saying those people gave their lives for a good cause is the first step in saying that war is justified, and then you're on the path to saying that war is OK.

I know, your friend, your dad, you yourself may have fought in a war. But I'm against it.

Post 14

Mrs Zen

I saw no contradiction in wearing a white peace poppy and a red British Legion poppy in the same button-hole. It used to wind up everyone who saw it, which wasn't really the point, so I only did it one year.

Robert Fisk was ranting in the Independent about memory and respect, and saying that he refused to wear s poppy because of the insincerity with which they are worn, by TV presenters in particular. In the end I concluded he confused the insincerity and lack of respect with wearing a poppy; not everyone who wears one does so thoughtlessly, as you yourself demonstrate Sho.

I wear one every year, several most years because of those stupid pins, but think neither better nor worse of someone for choosing to do so or not to do so. People are hard enough to read when you've known them all your life; it is foolish to imagine you can gain any insight into a person's moral or ethical values based on a paper flower worn in a lapel.

Post 15

Sho - employed again!

I've never managed to find a white poppy or I would wear both (and my daughters want the purple ones now - they saw the memorial on Park Lane last year and now they are always desperately worried about animals in war)

I don't think that war is being glorified, even by the idiots. But, I do feel the whole poppy thing is being hijacked for jingoistic and, frankly, outrageously political reasons. The whole football thing for instance made my hair stand on end.

I joined the army, intelligence corps, because I believed (and I still believe) that knowing what was going on (and I'm not talking about faking dossiers, I'm talking about the bit that I did - not actually sure I can describe it smiley - winkeye) went an awful long way to preventing WWIII (although I'm not sure that it really has been prevented at all, just fractured and prolonged smiley - sadface)

But most definitely nobody is forgetting the slaughter and carnage on any side - the slaughter and carnage is to be remembered by everyone.

Gruesome #1 has watched All Quiet on the Western Front this week at school as a way of introducing discussion about The Great War. It was banned here for a long time, so I'm glad they got the chance to see it.

So today, I'll wear my poppy - and remember just how scared I used to be on the ranges (at the target end, pushing them up and down) being petrified at the crack of a bullet whizzing overhead, and remember all the people who have had that and much much worse. And again I'll be hoping that the politicians don't push us over the top. Again.

Post 16

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

It really could be un-nerving in the buttes, couldn't it? 7.62 mm's from an FN ain't a kids pellet rifles ...

Post 17

I'm not really here

I don't wear a poppy because they always fall off, get crumpled quickly and I have my charities I support. Regardless of whether I agree with war or not, it happens, it will always happen and people who get injured at their job always need help and support.

What gets me is the people who make 'posh poppies', and although they say they donate, they are keeping some profit I know they are (I know someone personally who's doing this). If there's something that people shouldn't make money out of it's damn Rememberance Day. smiley - sadface

Post 18

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

In that case I'd say only buy from the official Royal British Legion website, unfortunately (for you if you wanted one) they've sold out of a lot of the items which were promoted last week, but good for the fundraising.

I think most people here know my thoughts, particularly as I'm the daughter of a Normandy Veteran. My mother is now 92 and she will be laying a poppy wreath on Sunday on behalf of the France and Germany Star, as she's done for the last 5 years, having taken the duty over from my father.

I couldn't be more proud of my father or others who stand up for what they believe. I too don't want any more wars smiley - peacedove but sometimes there's no choice (war on terror) and then there's peace to maintain smiley - peacesign

No-one in the UK is expected or forced to wear a poppy or participate in the 2 minutes' silence. That's called freedom of choice and I also would like my views respected. I'm off to write my own journal now, thankssmiley - ok

Shosmiley - smooch

Post 19

Sho - employed again!

oh the bling bling poppies (like the big F-off ones the "VIPs" wear) get on my nerves. Everyone should have the wee paper version - there is a point to them...

It's like the Queen or whoever saying: I'm too important to have a little paper thing like you plebs...

smiley - hug GB smiley - hug GBs mum. smiley - kisssmiley - kiss

Wearing my poppy at work today. The Koreans like the idea of respecting the war dead (as I thought they would - I have a load of new guys who haven't seen my poppy before, the last few years I don't think I've been at work on 11/11 to wear it) The Germans also broadly support the idea. smiley - ok

Post 20

Wand'rin star

When I was working in Bulgaria I went to a memorial service in the cemetery. It started in the British war graves section and then went to the German section. Very moving.Extremely cold day warmed by contributions from all sides.Since it was then already 60 years from the end of WWll, I felt it was very appropriate.
Finished off with hot drinks at the German embassy.smiley - star<star

Key: Complain about this post