This is the Message Centre for Sho - employed again!

*crosses M&S off as a place to buy bras*

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

I'm one of the larger smiley - titsmiley - tit ladies who is cross about M&S charging more for bras sized DD or more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8035496.stm

"Large-chested women are taking on Marks and Spencer over its policy of charging more for bigger bras."

I wonder that people who buy AA bras don't ask for a discount too...

Actually I switched to Debenhams a few years ago when M&S didn't go up to my size. So smiley - nahnah to M&S! smiley - tongueout

Post 2

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Ugh. I've actually been getting my bras mail order for the last few years. My only other options are Target, where I hate to shop, or some ridiculously overpriced boutique which happens to have them. it's especially tough when you have large smiley - tits but aren't what they'd call a full-figured woman.

Post 3

KB

I don't wear one. Does that mean I can charge them every time I enter the shop? smiley - magic

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

Oh yes, it's terrible if you're "odd" sizes.

I have a 4 size difference between my bottom half and my top half. Bikini buying (not that I go in for bikinis) is out of the question here because they don't sell them as separates. (mind you, the woman in the shop, where I asked last time, said in all her years I'm the first person who has wanted a smaller set of bottoms. She even asked other women in the shop if they wanted to try to come to some arrangement with me smiley - rofl

Post 5

psychocandy-moderation team leader

One piece bathing suits aren't always that much better- you wind up with a saggy bottom.

When I stood up for a friend's wedding a few years ago, in addition to picking black dresses in a nice, conservative fabric, she picked two-piece dresses. So I could order a top two sizes larger than the skirt and still look OK. Though there was a minor tragedy wherein I bent down to pick something up, my straps broke, and the girls popped out in the middle of the courtyard.

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

smiley - yikes

As I mentioned in my running thread - the irony is that my first proper run in about 10 months today had my smiley - titsmiley - tit confined in a rather fab M&S running bra smiley - laugh

Post 7

Malabarista - now with added pony

smiley - laugh I've done that, PC - my graduation dance, and my stepfather managed to tear a strap off my dress...

Still not found a decent bra for riding smiley - cross

Post 8

Dea.. - call me Mrs B!

If you shop in Debenhams for bras, have a look at their bikinis. Some gorgeous ones for the more curvaceous lady and come in sets of two tops & two bottoms at a decent price!

I have the same disparity problem!

Post 9

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Haven't bought a bra from M&S for *years* as their fit is so terrible (and the measuring ladies *always* get my size wrong) so sod 'em. I'm a figleaves/bravissimo girl which does mean I pay more than on the high street but they do actually fit.

Post 10

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I've been buying mine and Alex's from BHS, they fit us ok

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

I love Bravissimo - in fact they do bikinis too. Not that I'm going to get one since I don't sunbathe and for swimming a cossie is more practical. I have a Speedo at the morning and it seems to fit everywhere with no problems - I can't remember, but I think they come in sizes that fit top-heavy women too.

Post 12

Beatrice

Top story on GMTV this morning is that M&S have backed down. The press are having a field day with "we made a boob", "£storm in a D-cup" etc etc

Post 13

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Yep, M&S have climbed down http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090507/tuk-store-admits-it-boobed-in-bra-disput-a7ad41d.html They must have known they couldn't get away with it once this hit the press

Post 14

Cheerful Dragon

Hope the decision takes effect immediately. I'm planning to buy some new bras tomorrow and M&S is the only place locally that does affordable large cup bras.

If you're not sure of your bra size, avoid this site: http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php I entered the measurements they asked for and got back a result of 42DD - 42E. Using the h2g2 system (A4455272), which I know and trust, I get a result of 38E - 38F. As the 'band' on my 40x bras is too big, I know which result I trust - h2g2's!

Regarding bikinis, I notice that La Senza sells bikini tops and briefs separately on some lines. They're also doing an offer of free bikini briefs with a bikini top. A couple of the tops are available up to FF cup, if size in that area is an issue. Spotted this when I was checking out what they had available in large cup bras (up to JJ! - but nothing I would buy), so I just thought I'd mention.

Post 15

Cheerful Dragon

Regarding M&S getting Kelli's size wrong, it seems to depend on the system used. If the ladies who measure use the guidelines on the M&S website, I'm not surprised the size is wrong. They seem to be using a similar system to the 85b.org website I mentioned. The M&S website also put me wearing a 42-off-the-scale bra.

I will be trying bras on tomorrow, but I doubt I'll be letting anybody at the store measure me.smiley - cross

Post 16

Sho - employed again!

I think the best way to get a properly fitting bra is just to go in to the changing room with a stash of them. I have two 'identical' bras. Debenhams, Simply Gorgeous t-shirt bras. One cream and one black. And the black one is definitely a much better fit.

Post 17

Mol - on the new tablet

OK so I measured myself using the H2G2 instructions and the result was a size of 42AA smiley - erm I normally find I fit perfectly into a 38DD smiley - laugh

Went to M&S today - and BHS - didn't find any must-haves, partly because of my requirement to have a matching thong and matching shorties for every bra I buy.

Mol

Post 18

Sho - employed again!

That's something I've only recently got into - matching underwear!

Post 19

coelacanth

My youngest daughter and I - both ladies of, er, generous frontage - had a fitting at Bravissimo recently. It was amazing! They don't use tape measures, they just peer at you a bit, disappear into the shop and return with something that is an absolutely perfect fit.
smiley - bluefish

Post 20

Teuchter

Rigby and Peller use the same "measuring" system, Coely, but are prohibitively expensive.
They do have some nice stuff smiley - envy

Key: Complain about this post