A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

The Atelier computer technology lab

Post 1021

Titania (gone for lunch)

Oh, and by the way, if every other option fails - is it a very tricky procedure to install a new graphics card into a laptop?

Post 1022

Phil

A laptop yes. Very tricky. The graphics chips are normally attached to the mainboard inside the laptop and so in that respect it's non upgradeable. I've never heard of one that could be done like that. If it was a desktop/tower machine then it's an easy job.

Post 1023

Titania (gone for lunch)

*casts a very evil Hex on MindArk, the company behind Entropia*

Post 1024

Titania (gone for lunch)

Just got this message from a co-player - could someone translate it for me please?

'I've also been using outdated gfx card integrated in laptop. The lag and gfx suck now but i can get on and play. I use 3-d analyze to launch and play it, bypassing the entropia log in. It is a free download and takes some tinkering. tommti-systems.com'

Uhhh.... what?

Post 1025

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

They found a backdoor into the game so that they can use an older video card.

Post 1026

Titania (gone for lunch)

Can I use it too - and if so, how?

Post 1027

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

But if you bypass the login, how do you identify yourself and recover your investment?

Post 1028

Titania (gone for lunch)

In worst case scenario, I take the train to Gothenborg, storm their HO and demand my money back, preferably with a knife to the throat of highest smiley - chick

Post 1029

Kristina the Flamenco Dancer - PS of Duende, Muse

*slow volcany eruption breeding*

Post 1030

Or you could storm their HQ and take a computer hostage, one with the right sort of card. smiley - smiley

Post 1031

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I call it impossible Ti. Laptops are not designed to be modular, so they suffer from static hardware configurations for the most part. Since laptops (the exceptiong bing the Alienware brand) are not designed for gaming it's not surprising.

Post 1032

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

>>Laptops are not designed to be modular

That is mostly correct, I have seen many laptops that have a swappable video card. They all happen to be Dell laptops though.

Post 1033

Titania (gone for lunch)

The bypass worked - it turned out to be a way to enter the game without using the launcher, but you're still able to log on.

But the down-graded graphics look like crap - tomorrow I'll pop in at one of the major PC gaming halls in central Stockholm to check if they have Entropia installed and if not, if they could install it for me.

Last time I was there (together with Hatifnat who was visiting) it was filled with male teenagers, and the air foul and smelling of sweat. However, according to their site, they've expanded and now have more room, so hopefully the air quality will have improved.

They have special discounts for female players in an attempt to get a more balanced mix of customers - I wonder if they have discounts for people who have left teenagehood behind long ago as well?smiley - silly

Post 1034

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

smiley - bleep Someone's trying to hack into my wireless network.

I've been having an odd, come-and-go problem with my wireless network for 2 or 3 days, which I attributed to faulty equipment. So I unplugged the suspect component and forgot about it, since my iMac is hard wired it was no big deal. But now my niece is home for spring break and was complaining about intermittent network access from her laptop, and my brother complained about the same thing, so I booted up my laptop and I was also having the same problem. So this time I unplug the wireless router on the theory that it was overheating (someone put a rag on top of it smiley - grr - ok, it was me <embarassed&gtsmiley - winkeye.

Then I walked around my house with my laptop trying to determine if a neighbor's signal was interfering, and noticed an unusually strong "ad hoc" network signal. A few minutes later, a second "ad hoc" signal with *exactly* the same network name as mine shows up but with all the wrong security settings. I think it was an attempt to get us to join the wrong network and allow them to log our passwords or whatever.

So I plug everything back in and reconfigure my network to use a new name and remain "closed", and suddenly everything works perfectly. And 20 minutes later these "ad hoc" networks are gone.

smiley - dog <-- isn't to blame, for once

Post 1035

marvthegrate LtG KEA

OK, wish me luck. I am off to the datacentre to turn up my new network. It's time to see if I know what I am doig.

Post 1036

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit without anything dramatic
"smiley - goodlucksmiley - erm cam our as smiley - huhsmiley - smiley

"

Post 1037

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

So how did go, Marv?
smiley - dog

Post 1038

/* A stolen "it" beams itself wirelessly into the previous sentence */

Post 1039

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Still working on it. We are live, but we have a few more problems that we are trying to iron out. I am currently on hour 11 in the datacenter.

Post 1040

There are 4 wireless networks in Lincoln: mine, the state, one of my neighbors, and one other I can't identify with a very low strength. In order to steal bandwidth, a person would have to come park outside my house.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more