A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

82Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1941

Phil

Back at work after a day off. It was good having a long weekend.

Hope those with ailments are sorted soon smiley - hug

Post 1942

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I wonder if our US salonistas could do me a favour and review my Swan Upping entry for me: A8653791

One of the reviewers is having trouble understanding it, possibly for cultural reasons (two nations divided by a common language etc) and I am having trouble understanding what the problem is - I'd be grateful if you could give me some additional USian input. smiley - ta

smiley - cakesmiley - ale etc as the usual inducements smiley - cheers

Post 1943

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

I read your Swan Upping piece last week Kelli and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll nip back to PR and catch up.

Teuchter, there's luggies mentioned in the Address to a Haggis but the tranlation there is a dish but I'm pretty sure some of my Turiff mates refer to hares as luggies.

Post 1944

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

It's morning already?

Post 1945

Witty Moniker

Yup, it's morning.

Kelli, I had a read through of your PR thread. I don't think the confusion has anything to do with a US/UK communication gap. I think the reviewer just wants more detail about the status of wild animals in the UK. I don't think that is germane to the entry. I read it as more of a brief history of how a quaint ceremony came to be.

Post 1946

Thanks Witty, I thought I was being asked about stuff beyond the remit of the entry but wasn't really sure if I was understanding the question, or what I could add to make it clearer.

I thought it was revolving around an assumption that if an animal/bird was edible, then in the US it could and would be hunted and eaten - that all creatures are 'fair game' for the pot unless actively protected by law. Is that anyone else's experience?

In the uk a few people do shoot wild birds which are often encouraged to breed in specific areas for this purpose but it isn't really common, and a fair few of the huntin' shootin' fraternity (at least near me) seem to do it for the sport rather than because they have to in order to have meat for dinner.

Post 1947

I thought the confusion was grasping the fact that we can have wild birds, i.e. Swans, owned by the Crown and that in poor, urban parts of USA tey would be hunted no matter who owned them.

I suppose it is a novel concept but then again the same applies to Sturgeon.

We do still shoot and eat wild birds other than birds such as pheasant and partridge reared specifically for shooting. We shoot wild ducks, mallard, teal and widgeon and grouse cannot be reared in captivity so all the effort goes on improving their habitat.

Post 1948

It isn't that common though, probably because most people don't have guns...

Post 1949

It really depends where you are. Farming comunnities usually do a fair bit of shooting both for the pot and to control vermin while the wildfowlers seem to travel miles to get to forshores and estuaries. I'll check on the numbers but rough shooting is I think thriving and what is known as driven shooting has always been popular.

Post 1950

It is relative though isn't it? There just aren't that many people with guns here as a proportion of the population.

There are lots of partridge and pheasant shoots around us - the birds sometimes come and hide in our back garden!

Post 1951

I didn't realise just how popular shooting is. The BASC link provides some interesting briefing notes:

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/shooting_facts

Post 1952

Santragenius V

Nice pictures of doors and walls, indeed, Ben - and it makes me even more happy as I now know that there's at least one more sane, trustworthy person out there who photographs things like that smiley - winkeye

Actually, I have several of that kind of photos - and both my kids and/or passers-by have sometimes looked a bit oddly at me while I took them...

Post 1953

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

F38024?thread=2133573

Clean cups! Clean cups! smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more