A Conversation for Hummous

The food of the Gods

Post 1

jasegroom

I'm vegetarian, and I believe I would probably die if it wasn't for the benefits of this wonderful substance. My personal favourite hummus sandwich is a brown pitta bread, with hummus, cous cous, black olives, tomato, lettuce and cucumber, sprinkled with a little black pepper.

Incidentally, there's a fledgling vegetarian society on H2G2. It can be found at http://www.h2g2.com/A299315 . If you're veggie, why not join, and make Zarquon very happy?

The food of the Gods

Post 2

Regor

I quite agree. I too am veggie and shall pop over and have a look. Er...was/is Zarquon a veggie? I seem to remember a reference to a singing fish, but not diets.

hummous is the friend of meat

Post 3

Researcher NOT

you are both so wrong!
hummous is best when eaten with meat! there are two options: one is to wipe hummous with pita when starting a meal (and i mean taking bits of pita, deep them in hummous with tahini & olive oil and stuck them in your mouth), and then eat some great shish-kebab. the second, is eating them togethter. this is the way hummous was eaten all thru history - dont turn iy into a vegie food.

Post 4

Vandervecken

I am so glad you pointed that out. I am also a hummous-loving omnivore, and I have to say it makes a perfect substitute for mayonnaise (another great meat-dip). I also want to point out a third method of obtaining it - the deli counter in the supermarket..!

Post 5

jasegroom

It's OK, I'm not trying to hijack it for us veggies. I believe everyone, regardless of race, creed, sex or dietary tendencies should be able to enjoy this gift from the Gods, but as a veggie it's a cracking source of protein and it's tasty enough to not need meat with it. I won't deny for a second that it tastes great with meat too, because I've only been veggie for four and a half years, and I used to eat it in just the way you describe.

Post 6

Regor

Yes, fair points and well made. I was introduced it by veggies, so sadly haven't tasted it in combination with meat. I'm not likely to now either, such is the path I have chosen. So how else can we eat this delightfull substance? My other half is a carnivore so I'm not asking for exclusively veggie options, which is just as well by the look of things smiley - winkeye

Post 7

Wolfman, Zaphodista :X (soon to be Zarquon again, or maybe not)

LOL, I think jase was referring to me. Thanks for the plug, btw. I'll be honest with you, I've never tried hummus. Although I have been a vegetarian for years I avoid "vegetarian food" like the plague, eg. tofu, veggieburgers, etc. I have always put hummus in that category, but maybe now I will try it. Right now the largest part of my diet comes from the bread and pasta group. Not the healthiest really.

Post 8

Regor

Crikey. Let me get this right, the founder of the Veg Soc hasn't tried hummus? Well go on then, the meaty comments above make it clear it isn't a veggie food. I don't know that your bread/pasta diet is that unhealthy. Some veggie diets are pretty bad in that respect. I guess it depends what you put on the pasta/bread.

Thanks for the link tips btw. Now I just need to find the time smiley - winkeye

Post 9

plastic lemming

hummus with meat? hummus with veggies?

u all got it wrong HUMMUS WITH EVERYTHING

mmmmmmmm

Post 10

Wolfman, Zaphodista :X (soon to be Zarquon again, or maybe not)

Agreed. I have totally moved past my only-eat-mainstream-food days. Hummous, tofu, fallafel, all wonderful things--especially fallafel! smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more