A Conversation for h2g2 Fiction Central

Fiction

Post 1

Peregrin

I think the original Fiction thread may still be being moderated so here's another one smiley - smiley

If anybody actually gets round to reading this, if you've got stories posted to this page, can you check that you've reactivated the pages since the BBC takeover? Some of them are pending moderation. Edit them and press update, and they'll come back.

So... put links to more fiction here.... and some criticism of the existing ones would be useful! You're all too quiet!

Fiction

Post 2

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

I'd noticed that... smiley - sadface

Fiction

Post 3

Peregrin

Ooh! Somebody said something! smiley - winkeye

*listens to the echo*

Fiction

Post 4

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

*sings*

"I dreamt I dwelt in marble halls..."

(If you listen to John Peel on Radio 4, you'll get my drift. smiley - winkeye)

Fiction

Post 5

Yehonala

Should I post my story here, if I want others to see it? Or is this just a place to get general advice?

Fiction

Post 6

Mac (Keeper of indecision)

erm yes,good question.And who Do we send the fiction to?smiley - smiley
Cheers

Fiction

Post 7

Peregrin

Hiya,
don't post your writings in the conversation, instead go to your user space and click on Add Entry (or whatever it's called), and paste/write them in there. When you click the buttony thing it'll go up as a proper Guide entry - copy the URL address and paste it in the conversation here, and I'll add a link from the h2g2 Fiction page to your story.
Tell me if that makes no sense and I'll figure out how to explain it properly!

smiley - flyhi

Fiction

Post 8

Oh!I get it! you do the thingy...with the wossname.I see now,It's all so clear!
Only messing,I get it,really!
Thanks!
(And just for the heck of it) !!!!

Fiction

Post 9

Peregrin

Could anyone who feels like advising another budding writer please make their way over to the thread marked 'Writing Styles'. Thank you for your attention smiley - smiley

Fiction

Post 10

ex-Rambling. Thingite. Dog. Pythonist. Deceased.

got an entry for you. http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F36918?thread=120421 hope I did that right. thanks.

Fiction

Post 11

oops! I'm sorry. try this one
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A619913

Fiction

Post 12

Peregrin

Excellent smiley - biggrin I've put the link up now (plus a shiny red NEW! thing smiley - winkeye)

smiley - bleep Attention everyone! New story! New story! smiley - bleep

smiley - flyhi

Fiction

Post 13

Hay Peregrin, how many words per story is advisable? I have a rather long one that can be chopped up into sections for a series.(Parts 1,2,3...that kind of thing.) It had 7,776 words, and I need to trim it down and devide it out. A goal of words-per-story would help me make choices when editing and revising it.(My word processor puts it at 38 pages. Is that 3 or 4 parts for this forum?)
It's a fantasy/comedy about a wizard apprenticed to a dragon and burocratic interference in their lives.
Thanks.smiley - smiley

Fiction

Post 14

Peregrin

Hum, it's up to you really. As long as it needs to be without getting too stretchy. smiley - biggrin

You could divide it into chapters and put them in seperate guide entries, then I'll link from h2g2 Fiction to each of them.

Fiction

Post 15

Peregrin

My story The Man in the Mist is probably one of the longest here at the moment. It's 4000 odd words long - any longer and a story would benefit from being split into two or more pages - not critical but would help reading it.

Fiction

Post 16

smiley - ghost thanks, bud. I like to have specific goals when editing.
I've been so busy haunting everyone smiley - biggrin that It'll take me some time to get it done. give me about a week.

Fiction

Post 17

I have a problem. I typed my story out in word. I highlighted it all,copied it,and when I pasted it all looked well. When the entry came up though, anywhere there was a ' it came up as:’
Help?
I know, don't panic.

Fiction

Post 18

Peregrin

Erm... hmm... you could try copying it to Notepad first, then copying it from Notepad to h2g2?

Fiction

Post 19

smiley - ghost got a new one for you. Notepad works, but it doesn't have a spell check, so I probably made a few errors. I gotta get a good processor up and running; I have several, I've just never used them.
Here it is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A622946
Thanks, bud.

Fiction

Post 20

smiley - ghost here's the second installment. I'll wait until I get some feedback, if any, on these 2 before I post the last one.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A623558

when you get time, could you check them out? no hurry...

Key: Complain about this post