This is the Message Centre for Chris Tonks

Hi there!!

Post 1

Alien

I see space stations are getting really popular now... I just opened h2g2 Space Centre a few weeks ago in
http://www.h2g2.com/A285653
Perhaps we could find some form of co-operation too or something... smiley - smiley

Hi there!!

Post 2

Chris Tonks

Well hello! Sorry, I didn't realise someone else had a 'station as well.smiley - smiley
Yes, well obviously we're only doing this with good intentions, so I'm not going to start an argument.smiley - smiley
A form of cooperation eh? Well I seem to understand that your space station is like a diversion for traffic, you know, a space port where other ships dock, resupply and leave again. But mine is a research vessel. So there won't be any overlap in forum content.
I propose that your 'station be the space traffic junction for h2g2, and mine be the deffence, say.
Let's talk about it...smiley - smiley

Hi there!!

Post 3

Chris Tonks

Oh yes, and you've probably worked out by now that I'm in a position of extreem technological advancement. If you'd be interested in anything, tell me.smiley - winkeye

Hi there!!

Post 4

Alien

So your station is part of the inter-galactic defence system of h2g2?? smiley - winkeye

My post above seems a bit rough... I didn't mean to say I'd have absolutely anything against other people having space stations too - the reason for that post was that I though it might be more fun to somehow integrate your place with mine... smiley - smiley So is there any plan?? smiley - smiley

Hi there!!

Post 5

Chris Tonks

Don't worry, I didn't missinterpret your post!smiley - winkeye
Yes, some form of co-operation would be great! I gather that your 'station is hovering just above ground level, whereas mine is in orbit (well, will be). As I said, my vessel is mainly for science, that, amazingly, exceeds even Affy's. If you act as a space port, I'll act as the deffense, and will offer other means of transport. I have a top-secret project on the go at the moment involving dimensions.smiley - winkeye

Hi there!!

Post 6

Alien

Great! I'll put a link to your station from the centre (though I see you already advertised it in the journey schedule... smiley - smiley ) - and will turn to you if there's anything groundbreaking science projects that should be accomplished... smiley - smiley Does Affy know about your ultimate technology??

(I hope that dimension-research hasn't anything to do with the disappearance of the captain of Esirpretne... smiley - winkeye )

Hi there!!

Post 7

Chris Tonks

I know nothing of the Esirpretne. And I can assure you that all experiments which I work on are undertaken in the strictest security! Please don't put a link to my page on your site yet, 'cus mine's not finished yet. But I'll put one on for yours, and inform you as to when my site will be ready. OK?smiley - smiley
I've still got to get recruits to work on the 'station, so I'll be posting notes in a few forums. Until then...smiley - smiley
- Pr. C. Tonks

Hi there!!

Post 8

Alien

I already wrote an announcement about your station but mentioned that it's under construction... But I can remove it if you like...?

Good to know you've got nothing to do with the disappearance of the captain... We had just had a big fight with klingons and the horrible somethings when he suddenly was sucked into some other dimension... The rescue attempt is going on here:
http://www.h2g2.com/A302608
smiley - smiley

Hi there!!

Post 9

Chris Tonks

Oops, you just gave me a link to my own site!smiley - winkeye
No, no, it's OK. You can leave the link on yours to mine if you like. About your captain, if you could give me the dimensional coordinates (assuming that this dimension is 'C', which letter would his dimension be?), I may be able to get him back. I'm not sure though, since I haven't used my machine with an organism yet.

Hi there!!

Post 10

Alien

Whoops... I'm sure I DID push ctrl+c AFTER copying your link... smiley - winkeye But this should be the right one:
http://www.h2g2.com/A303229smiley - smiley
I'm not sure which dimension it is, but it might have something to do with Peter Pan... And the coordinates are scribbled in the floor of Esitpretne somewhere... smiley - smiley

Hi there!!

Post 11

Alien

Yep, now it works... smiley - smiley

Hi there!!

Post 12

njan (afh)

This wouldn't be the place to apply for work on the space station would it? Because I couldn't find anywhere else...

Hi there!!

Post 13

Chris Tonks

At last! Don't worry, sure you can apply here! That's right, I'm looking for people to help me on the space station.
So, do you think you're willing to supervise experiments or serve people in the cafes?smiley - smiley

Hi there!!

Post 14

njan (afh)

Hmm... both sounds tempting... what would each one entail?

Hi there!!

Post 15

Chris Tonks

Well, since the 'station is a research vessel, it's full of laboratories. And since it's 27km^3 in size, there are a lot of unused ones. If you were to work there, you would basically keep the place under control, and *help* people with their experiments.
If you were to work in the restaurants and cafes however, you would, well... if you've ever been to the donut stall on the beach around here, then you'll take the job that Joanna has, just basically serving people their meals from distant star systems, and answering their questions.
In both cases, you would basically be someone who oversees the whole thing, and be someone to talk to.
There's also the Observatory of course, but that's a bit like the beach I suppose, and doesn't really need anybody to check it.

Hi there!!

Post 16

njan (afh)

Hmm... You don't need anything else on he station apart from those do you?

Hi there!!

Post 17

Chris Tonks

Erm, well, I can't think of anything else really. As time moves on, new parts will be added to it, and therefor more people will be needed to keep track of those forums and maybe create new threads when the old ones get, er, old.
However, a lot of special forums may be created due to the 'station's existance. You know, ones like, for instance, there's the ascent and descent of Mt. SandEverest. Now that was created due to the existance of the h2g2 waterworks and beach. We could have something like that, say an expedition to some other planet, where we would require a captain of a ship, or squad leader or something.
But, until this Space Station gets underway, I can't tell you what *special* placements there are. If you could take charge of one of the areas mentioned so far, I would be very grateful, and then, when it's more developed, you can take charge of more interesting things. I'm just starting out, OK?

Hi there!!

Post 18

njan (afh)

Ooh... ok then.. Shout at me when you have captains of ships, that sounds fun.. smiley - smiley

Meanwhile... can I be a research scientist? Preferably something to do with Astrophyics(well, this isn't hard bearing in mind it's space, but... ) or lasers? smiley - smiley

Hi there!!

Post 19

Chris Tonks

Good day to you! Right, yes, sure, you can be in charge of one of the labs! They're for general use, but I'm sure we can split them up into different categories, like astrophysics or whatever. You can work in weapons research if you like.smiley - smiley
Well, I'm glad that's sorted out. I've just got a few more people to recruit, and some adjustments to the site, and I'll tell you when I'm ready, OK? Good.smiley - smiley

Hi there!!

Post 20

njan (afh)

Hmm... not sure about weapons research, but cool, thanks. smiley - smiley

Ok, I'll be waiting.... just give me a shout on my user page or whatever. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Chris Tonks

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more