A Conversation for Saint Helens, Oregon, United States

Peer Review: A9416568 - Saint Helens, Oregon, United States

Post 1

Bored in Hicktown

Entry: Saint Helens, Oregon, United States - A9416568
Author: xian120 - U3235463

This is the Guide Entry to the small town of Saint Helens, Oregon, United States. It's the town I live in. All the information is completely factual. Feel free to delete things you may find irrelevant to the subject.

Many Thanks,
Christian Jahn

A9416568 - Saint Helens, Oregon, United States

Post 2

Bored in Hicktown

Also, please point out anything that seems out of place. Or suggestions of adding detail to a certain subject of the town, removal of irrelevant information, or to move something from one part of the entry to another. Thankssmiley - smiley

Post 3

nikwoodberry

I think it was very accurate to the town! I live here and it describes the town well. I like your reference to my friend, Thomas Truong! Very cool. You get good ratings from me. smiley - smiley

Post 4

Bored in Hicktown

Glad you liked it. If you want to leave me a message, do so. Maybe we could meet at the high school. Next week is late start. Anyway this conversation is for another time and another place.

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Hello, xian. Thanks for writing about your town. Could you tell us how far from Portland the town is? Is it on the main I5 Highway? You say a lot about the schools and what the people in the schools are doing. What do the rest of the people in the town do? Do they all work in Portland? Are they farmers, fishermen, loggers? Most of us have no idea what Oregon is like, so if you could give us something of a flavour for the are around your town, it would be great.

Assume that the person reading this is in the middle of a big city, say New York or London, and has never been to Oregon.

There's some tidying up you could do as well - please put at the start of each paragraph and at the end of each paragraph. This should make it look better.

smiley - smiley G

Post 6

Bored in Hicktown

Ok, thanks for the writing advice. I'm also thinking about looking up some more of the history of the town, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. But thanks again, I'll get right on those changes.

Post 7

AlexAshman

Hi xian120 smiley - biggrin

This looks good so far - have a look at A1286921 for tips on more details you could add to the entry.

Alex smiley - smiley

Post 8

Paully

Personally, I'm sure that at least 2 of the Italics here at h2g2 HQ would love to read about Saint Helens in Oregon - mainly because they both either were born in, or grew up very close to, the town of St Helens in Merseyside in the UK! smiley - smiley

So all the best with your search for a bit more history about the town. Speaking as someone with very little knowledge about that part of the USA, is there a link between Saint Helens in Oregon and Mount Saint Helens in Washington State?

What kind of industries are there? What do people do to amuse themselves in Saint Helens of an evening or weekend?

smiley - ok

Paully

Post 9

McKay The Disorganised

smiley - erm Was it Rainhill they came from ?

smiley - run

smiley - cider

Post 10

Cardi

Surely any entry on the town of Saint Helens cannot get into the guide without mentioning what happened to the mountain on May 18, 1980! smiley - erm Even if it didn't have much effect on the town you should mention that it didn't as when most people read this entry thats exactly what they will be thinking about.

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

The town of Saint Helens, Oregon, seems to be about 40 miles from Mount Saint Helens, Washington.

Post 12

Cardi

yeah but compared to the size of the eruption I'm sure it must have been effected some what, besides as I mentioned in my earlier post people will be expecting something perhaps like this...

Saint Helens, Oregon, United states, is a small town 30 miles north-west of Portland Oregon. The northern-most part of town is on Highway 30 between Columbia City and Scappoose. Downtown Saint Helens sits on the Columbia River, which divides the States of Oregon and Washington. It lies 40 miles south-west of the Mount St. Helens volcano, where it supposedly got it's name. The distance was fortunate for the town as it escaped any serious damage when the volcano exploded on 18 May 1980 with the force of 500 atomic bombs.

And a suitable link for this text is here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/19/newsid_2511000/2511133.stm

Post 13

JulesK

Hi Bored,

Looking like a good potential EG Entry smiley - ok !

You would need to go through and remove the first person references, making it more general/balanced and less opinion.

You also have an 'it's' in the first section which should be 'its'.

Julessmiley - smiley

Post 14

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Are you still around, Bored in Hicktown?

Post 15

Bored in Hicktown

Sorry, I've been on vacation. Thank you for your guys' continuing aid in my quest to make a decent entry about my pathetic town. But yes i'm here once more, scanning my entry to try and find anything wrong or un-needed.

Post 16

Milos

Still working on this, Bored?

Post 17

U168592

No posting from author for a while, propose Flea Market.

Post 18

AlexAshman

Seconded smiley - ok

Post 19

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Has been added to Scout Databasessmiley - biro

Key: Complain about this post