Saint Helens, Oregon, United States

2 Conversations


Saint Helens, Oregon, United states, is a small town 30 miles north-west of Portland Oregon. The northern-most part of town is on Highway 30 between Columbia City and Scappoose. Downtown Saint Helens sits on the Columbia River, which divides the States of Oregon and Washington. It lies roughly 40 miles south-west of Mount St. Helens, where it supposedly got its name. On May 18, 1980 the mountain erupted and killed 57 people. An estimated 24,000 animals were killed. The town of St. Helens itself was at a safe distance and was not harmed.

Some stuff around town

There are some historical sites, noted for the explorational values of the past in Saint Helens. Originally settled by New England loggers, a major industry in the early 1900's was basalt rock mining quarries. Since it sits on the river, it was once a major port. Because it is such a small town, there is much forest and marsh land. It rains during the winter and spring months. A very old Courthouse, which is still in use, is in the Down-town area. The area was used in the Disney movie "Halloween Town". There are some very old buildings in the area, as it was where the town was founded. Small-time shops, like 'Nothing New', sell antiques and other old items. Also downtown is the local movie theatre. It is privately owned and operated with only one screening room. This was also used for the 'Halloween Town' movie. A unique feature about this theatre is its chairs. Disney had paid for them for their movie. What's unique about them is their ability to rock back and forth like a rocking chair.

The river is used often by barges as well as personal fishing boats. Some say that the Columbia river is possibly the best fishing place in Oregon. There is also a Logging industry that works for the Boise Cascade Mill. The John Gumm school, now known as 'The Olde School' is now privately owned and used for weddings, picnics, school dances, and other social events.

A few miles south is the main stretch of highway that runs through town. Following this south will take one past the St. John's bridge and will lead to the I-5 (Interstate 5). On this road are Fast-Food restaurants, a bike shop, a sandwich shop, a salon, a Wal-Mart, and a Safeway. These places are often stopped at by people travelling through the town. Slightly east is the Boise Cascade Mill. Many people in the town work there.

The public Library is near the Louis and Clark school. It was made within the last 10 years, and has a Technology center, which is commonly used by Middle schoolers. In between the middle school and Elementary school is the Red Apple market. The locals of downtown usually use this for small time grocery shopping, but go to Safeway when needing lots of items.

If you ever visit Saint Helens, there are only a few places I suggest visiting.

  • Saint Helens on the Riverfront
  • McCormick Park, which offers a hiking trail that includes little excercise stations
  • St. Helens High School. (I suggest viewing a sports event or Play. The theatre here is good for the most part, with the occasional theatrical blunder. But good enough to keep you entertained. Cheap tickets too.)
  • The Museum in the Courthouse
  • The down-town Movie Theatre. It only has movies that were released a few months prior, but is still a good way to kill time on a Friday night.

The people of Saint helens

The people in Saint Helens, I'm sorry to say, are generally one type of people. The kind that stick to themselves, and avert their eyes to anyone they pass. They usually won't say a word or approach you, lest you've found one of the very few. They are, however, decent enough to give you instructions to places around town if you ask, but otherwise, don't bother. The rain and cold usually keeps everyone in a grumpy and/or meloncholy humor.

Some other places near Saint Helens include Deere Island, Columbia city, and Scappoose. Many of the citizens consider the town to be full or 'Rednecks' and 'Hicks' which are deragatory terms for people who are uneducated and/or sophisticated.

Some fads that are currently overcoming the schools is the Online Game 'Runescape' which is ran by a Company known as Jagex in London, England. There is also a fad of making 'Painball teams' used in a popular sport. In Saint Helens, people have a fascination with guns, knifes, swords, and any other collectible weaponry. (Including paintball guns). Some (like myself) enjoy collecting replicas from the movies 'Star Wars'. And of course, students are taking a musical interest and forming their own bands.

A lot of adults that live in Saint Helens work in Portland, which is the closest major city. There are some who even work in Seattle. Some of the local major employers include mining, forest products, and manufacturing operations. The down-town area (AKA Old Town) itself is very old, and things are not commonly built anew here. But one recent project is the new Grace Babtist Church. There are also A LOT of new housing being built in the west areas of town. There is rumour of building new schools, but these rumours have not been looked into.

Educational Facilities

Whithin the town, there are 4 schools, and one more in a little village-like place called Columbia city. The first school is McBride. This school is for public students, grades Kindergarden through 2nd grade. Its main layout is situated in 'pods' These pods are parts of the building containing rooms that are marked with letters.

The next is Louis and Clark school, named after the explorers of western United States. Students in 3rd through 5th grade go there. It has the basic classroom number layout. 4 years ago it was split into two schools, Louis housing younger students and Clark having the older. Many years ago, in Louis and Clark's place was Condon Elementary school. Due to its old age and crumbling foundation, it was destroyed 8 years ago, to make way for the new school.

In columbia city, there is one small school where only 6th graders go. It once had K-5 as well, but in recent years, the Columbia county School District has been experimenting. Three blocks away from Louis and Clark is the St. Helens Middle school. Students in the 7th and 8th grade attend there. It also has a basic class numbered layout. It also has some portable buildings behind the school, formerly known as the '6th grade village'. 3 years ago 6th graders attended the Middle school, and near all of their classes were held in these buildings.

In the south-central part of the town is St. Helens High School, housing grades 9 through 12. It has several buildings. A-D. Buildings A and B are more Pencil and paper classes. C building has art classes and computer technology classes, and D building has classes such as Wood Shop, Auto-tech, and Metals.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A9416568

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more