A Conversation for In Defence of Pyjamas

special H2G2 spelling?

Post 1

Lute

"Defense" is spelled with an "s" rather than a "c" unless I am in some sort of reality warp. Is this one of those famous "approved" guide entries?

special H2G2 spelling?

Post 2

Martin Harper

Isn't that one of these wonderful USA/UK spelling differences?

special H2G2 spelling?

Post 3

Lute

No. I looked up this word in the Oxford English dictionary and in the American Webster's. Only saw one spelling. If a British person has alternative information, I will be glad to be proven wrong.

special H2G2 spelling?

Post 4

I think this is me

UK spelling is "defence".. and this has nothing to do with de 'fence' dat goes around de garden!

special H2G2 spelling?

Post 5

kaid100

While we're on the subject of spelling, isn't 'pyjamas' sometimes spelt 'pajamas'? Is that the US spelling? American researchers, it's over to you...

special H2G2 spelling?

Post 6

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

A New Zealand researcher butts in. The following comes from Dictionary.com

pyjamas \Py*ja"mas\, or, chiefly US, Pajamas \Pa*ja"mas\, n. pl. A garment, similar to the Oriental pyjama adopted among Europeans, Americans, and other Occidentals, for wear in the dressing room and during sleep; also, a suit of drawers and blouse for such wear.

defence n. and v. Chiefly British Variant of defense

h2g2 style is based on British English usage which, I suppose, is why they keep on putting the letter 's' on Maori plurals - there is no 's' in the NZ native Maori language. Of course h2g2 is written in English, not Maori... nor American... nor German... Munich not Munchen...

Loony

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more