A Conversation for The h2g2 Curators' Home Page

CF: A81024428 - The Jefferson State Rebellion

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

A81024428

submitting the winning entry 'Jefferson', for Thomas Jefferson, in a contest3 to name the new state
-->
submitting the winning entry 'Jefferson', after Thomas Jefferson, in a contest3 to name the new state

(in British English, you name things after people, not for people)

Three rogue curly apostrophes (which display as "i umlaut upside-down question mark half" on my browser) changed to straight ones.

INDEX attribute removed from FOOTNOTE tags (put in mistakenly by Barlesque editor).

DNAID links (created mistakenly by Brunel editor) changed to H2G2 links.

Changed capitalisation on headings and sub-headings.

I'm also suspicious of the use of the word 'capitol' in this: "capitol" is a building while "capital" is a city. This sounds more like a capital to me, but it seems to be in the original declaration, so I'll leave it as it stands.

smiley - ok<

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

OK, I've decided. The use of "capitol" in the declaration of independence is an error made by the person who wrote it, but that's what they said, so I leave it as it is. I've corrected the other use of capitol in the entry to capital, to match the three other places where capital is used correctly.

I've also changed half-mast to half mast, a change suggested by Rudest Elf in Editorial Feedback.

Post 3

Rudest Elf

"OK, I've decided. The use of "capitol" in the declaration of independence is an error made by the person who wrote it, but that's what they said, so I leave it as it is."

You could add [sic] after the error if you feel inclined.

smiley - reindeer

Post 4

I do not believe this is an error. The writer is referring to the office used as the Jefferson capitol building.

This appeared below a photo printed in the Friday November 28 San Francisco Chronicle:

"Here are six of the Northern rebel leaders and their proposed corrugated capitol building - the Yreka Assay Office. These men hope to become officials in the forty-ninth State of Jefferson, if they can incorporate Siskiyou, Modoc, and Del Norte counties in California and Curry county in Oregon into a new State. In the top row ..."

If you absolutely must comment on the use of the word capitol, I would really rather you added a footnote than "sic":

The 'Temporary State Capitol' was a corrugated metal building that also served as the Yreka Assay Office.

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, Happy Nerd. I've added your footnote to the declaration. I've also changed the other two references "temporary state capital, Yreka" to "state capital, Yreka", because it appears the author is talking about the city, not the corrugated iron building.

Post 6

I just read this over the phone to my mom and stumbled a bit over this line:

OG Steele of Yreka and State Senator Randolph Collier promised to see the 'Gable Dream' through and made sure the newsreel companies had plenty to film on the Thursday.

Is 'on the' needed before 'Thursday' in British English? If anything is needed, shouldn't it be 'that'?

Post 7

Rudest Elf

Well spotted! smiley - smiley

I agree that 'had plenty to film that Thursday' is better as it refers to the fact that Mayor Gable's death prevented him from taking part in 'that' Thursday's activities. [It's consistent with the following paragraph, and with the opening paragraph of the entry.]

smiley - reindeer

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

There's certainly nothing wrong with "on the Thursday" in British English. But if it tripped you up, then it could be clearer. I've taken your suggestion of "that Thursday", and have also added the fact that the guy died on the Tuesday to make it clearer which week was being talked about.

Key: Complain about this post