A Conversation for The h2g2 Curators' Home Page

CF: A87977164 - 'Mission: Impossible' - the Film Series

Post 1

Bluebottle

A87977164 - 'Mission: Impossible' - the Film Series
Updated to include Dead Reckoning Part One

<BB<


CF: A87977164 - 'Mission: Impossible' - the Film Series

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Would you like to add the definition of 'flop' as a footnote? - I see it did recoup its production budget so it wasn't a 'bomb' even though it was expensive smiley - ok

"cinemas chose not to show it" - can you say a bit more about what that means? $500k worldwide at the box office is more than some films get... Not in the same league as Barbenheimer, though, indeed.

I see Part One has been renamed as well http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-title-change-audience-tastes

smiley - ok


CF: A87977164 - 'Mission: Impossible' - the Film Series

Post 3

Bluebottle

Thanks for the read-through, I added the flip flop smiley - footprintssmiley - musicalnote
I don't want to go on too much of a tangent in the entry, but I know that cinemas both near where I live and where I work didn't show the film. (It also wasn't released in China and Russia, which also impacted on the box office).
When a film is released in cinemas, new contracts between the filmmakers/distributors and cinema chain are drawn up so no two films will have the exact same conditions, but the following show a standard pattern (if the numbers themselves are incorrect). So it is standard for the contract to say that in the first week the film is shown, say 80% of profit will go to the filmmakers and only 20% to the cinema company, in the second week the split might be 70%/30%, third week 60%/40% - you get the idea, the longer the film is being shown in cinemas, the higher a percentage a cinema will get. So when a film does well for extended periods of time, such as 'Barbie', it is in the cinema's interest to keep a film that's already been out for some time on show as they will get more of the money made than if they show a new release.

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

CF: A87977164 - 'Mission: Impossible' - the Film Series

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more