A Conversation for The Official H2G2 10 Albums List

10 albums

Post 1

alicat (Patron Saint of Good Taste)

i really think you should have included "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" or "Foxtrot" by Genesis and "So" by Peter Gabriel. if i was stuck on a desert island i would certainly want them with me.smiley - fish@

10 albums

Post 2

Santragenius V

Mmmm, I'm not entirely disagreeing, at least not on the Genesis thing. Do you have a full "10" list to suggest?

(I'm feeling very demanding today smiley - smiley)

10 albums

Post 3

i managed to narrow it down to 11, and since today is the 11th, i hope that's o.k. in no particular order:YES, "Close to the Edge", GENESIS "The Lamb" & "Foxtrot", U2 "The Joshua Tree", PETER GABRIEL "Us" & "So", PINK FLOYD "The Dark Side of the Moon" & "The Wall", SUPERTRAMP "Crime of the Century", PEARL JAM "Ten", & THE DOORS "The Doors". i would hope that if i were stranded, i would have a couple of hundred albums with me. you know, be prepared like the Howells were.

10 albums

Post 4

Ormondroyd

Hi Santra,

I'd like to send you my 10 albums again along with explanatory words and links, but I think it'll look a bit messy if I do that here. Have you got an e-mail address I could send it to? That way you could just copy the list on to this page.
In case you don't want to post your e-mail address here, you can contact me on: [email protected] smiley - fish

10 albums

Post 5

Santragenius V

Yep, [email protected]...

Thanks & best regards

10 albums

Post 6

Santragenius V

On behalf of Crescent who dropped me these -- thankx BTW:

1. Flashes From The Archives Of Oblivion - Roy Harper (Me and My Little Woman is v. v. v. good and the rest are kick ass smiley - smiley
2. A Briefcase Full of Blues - The Blues Brothers (for Rubber Biscuit - the only song I have trouble singing - and I can sing gaelic songs smiley - smiley
3. Dreamweapon - Spaceman 3 (just for 'An Evening of Contemporary Sitar Musik' 45 minutes of stoned out bliss smiley - smiley
4. Lego my Ego - Mercury Rev (an EP, but it has a good mix of their
mellow/mental stuff smiley - smiley
5. Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - Dead Kennedys (An excellent 'pump up and get ready' album)
6. A Night at the Opera - Queen (Even tho' Bohemian Rhapsody pulls it down into hell '- 39 and the Prophet Song are excellent smiley - smiley
7. Legends - Roy Harper (Tom Tiddlers Ground is a poignant masterpiece)
8. Gregorian Chants - Gregorian Monks (An excellent mellow, 'lets sleep' album)
9. A Movement for Three Pianos (I am not sure of the right name) - Steve Reich (find him in your classical section, mininmilist music, drives some people mad, but I like the subtle changes in the repetitve sound smiley - smiley reminds me I have to get some more of his stuff smiley - smiley
10. HQ - Roy Harper (yet another masterpiece from the man himself smiley - smiley

Hmmm -- and I thought I had a varied taste in music smiley - smiley

But now we seem to have Queen listed twice, although with different albums...

10 albums

Post 7

MadMunk?¿

1) Metallica, Metallica (The Black Album)
2) Nirvana, Nevermind
3) Skunk Anansie, Post Orgasmic Chill
4) Led Zeppelin, The one with Stairway on it......
5) Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms
6) Korn, Follow the Leader
7) Queen, A Kind of Magic
8) Stereophonics, Word Gets Around
9) Rage Against the Machine, The battle of Los Angeles
10)Manic Street Preachers, Everything Must Go.

10 albums

Post 8

Santragenius V

See, there's Queen popping up again. They must have done someething right...

And Metallica's got a Danish drummer, so they must be OKable (though I must admit they're not presently found in my collection...)

smiley - smiley

SG V

10 albums

Post 9

Doctor Smith

Here's my two cents' worth. Perhaps I'm a bit limited in my choices, but here goes...
1) Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
Best album of all time. Period. The rest aren't necessarily in any particular order.
2) Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
3) Bo Hansson - The Lord of the Rings
4) Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
5) ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
6) The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
7) Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
8) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
9) U2 - The Joshua Tree
10) probably something by Led Zeppelin...

10 albums

Post 10

Santragenius V

"Probably something" -- I haven't seen that listed yet *LOL*

I certainly also rate Pink Floyd very high. I actually own Dark Side... in WHITE vinyl. How about that?

Best,

SG V

10 albums

Post 11

Mike A (snowblind)

Ah-ha ha ha ha ha. I have 10 albums, sure, but the order I put them in will be pretty randomn. I love them all!
Guess I'll number them in the order they pop into my head smiley - smiley

1. The Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden
2. Killers by Iron Maiden
(man, this is gonna start looking repetitive already *^_^*)
3. Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden
4. Live At Donnington by Iron Maiden
5. The X Factor by Iron Maiden
6. Seasons In The Abyss by Slayer
7. Head On by Samson
8. Live At Last by Black Sabbath
9. Wheels Of Steel by Saxon
10. Strong Arm Of The Law by Saxon

Well, on a desert island those are my honest top 10 LOL!

10 albums

Post 12

White vinyl? You are a true fan then. I'm impressed. I wish I was rich enough to have all my vinyl albums on CD. The Strawbs, Jean-Luc Ponty, all Gabriel's.smiley - smiley I've got a few hundred albums in my garage.smiley - sadface

10 albums

Post 13

Santragenius V

Yeah, I know the feeling about the LP to CD thing. Just about when we finally decided to have a CD player (which for no reason took us ages), we also included a new turntable -- probably one of the last B&Os available in the country -- so that there was some kind of future for the 250 albums in the shelf. And you know, I actually still play some of them... smiley - smiley

SG V

10 albums

Post 14

Santragenius V

Oh dear, Mike A -- that lot of albums seem very heavy, indeed. Do you think you would be able to carry them on to the island at all smiley - winkeye

Tx,

SG V

10 albums

Post 15

Mike A (snowblind)

I'd get my Motorcylce Man to help me Run To The Hills.

LOL!

10 albums

Post 16

Crescent

Santragenius V, I have been looking through and wish to change one (is that OK?) If it is possible get rid of A Night at the Opera and in its place put One Dove with One Dove smiley - smiley TVM (whichever way you decide smiley - smiley
BCNU - Crescent

10 albums

Post 17

Santragenius V

I'm really, really reluctant to pull off a Queen album...

Now, the only two reasons (ehh, can you say that? - only and two combined?) for letting you get away with it is a) I put up A Day at the Races, b) I am too curious about that other one. What on Earth, not to say in the Galaxy, is that?

Hiya

SG V

10 albums

Post 18

Crescent

I know the hassle I am causing, and sorry, but it wasn't my fault, honest guv' smiley - smiley I blame the Queen record further up the list for leading me like a sheep smiley - smiley The band One Dove and their album Morning Dove White. Very mellow, I forgot all about it until unpacking a couple of nights ago - and there it was. If you wish to know more then go to ftp://ftp.std.com/obi/Zines/Chaos.Control/onedove.html and/or http://www-2.roughguides.com/rock/entries/entries-o/ONE_DOVE.htmlsmiley - smiley They sound like a mellower, trippier version of Spiritualised (though not as drugged out as Spaceman 3 smiley - smiley
BCNU - Crescent

10 albums

Post 19

smiley - smiley

10 albums

Post 20

Monkey Boy

In no particular order

Grand Turismo - Cardigans
Odele' - Beck
Blood Sugar Sex Magic - Red Hot Chilli peppers