A Conversation for Satellite Radio

Peer Review: A7236795 - Satellite Radio

Post 1

TheGreatZarquon

Entry: Satellite Radio - A7236795
Author: TheGreatZarquon - U2576974

Took me awhile to write this. It's as finished as it could possibly be, having been through a few revisions and re-edits before I decided to put it up for peer-review.

A7236795 - Satellite Radio

Post 2

Lost Soldier Three-----Merry Christmas! (watch my friends list grow)

well done TGZ!

another triumph methinks!smiley - cheerssmiley - ok

Post 3

Z

Hi Zarquon, and welcome to Peer Review! I can this is your first entry.

And fairly good it is too, I can see you've read the writting guidlines and know what h2g2's about. With a little bit of work it would be just right.

I've just got a couple of points:

smiley - earth Edited entries on h2g2 are all in the third person, this is part of the house style. It's also because if they are in reality a collaberation between several people, the author, people who comment in PR and the sub ed.

smiley - earth This is all very US centric: can you get Satillete radio in other countries.

smiley - earth How are all these stations funded? just by your subscription? Has an increase in content led to a decrease in quality in the same way an increasing number of TV channels hasn't lead to an increase in quality programming.

Post 4

TheGreatZarquon

Thanks for pointing those bits out. It's nice to know that when I bunge a few things up, theres someone there to tell me how to fix it smiley - smiley

As far as the third-person perspective, I'll try to rewrite it to see if I can squeeze it into third-person. I almost had to do first-person as I subscribed to a service to help understand it, so that I would be better able to write a decent review. But I'll dig back through my entry and see if I can work it into third-person.

I did try to include the rest of the world, but as far as I could tell, there is only one satelitte radio provider that covers the world outside the USA. I'll do a bit more digging and reconfirm that bit, just to make sure I didn't miss anything,

And finally, on to the third point. It does seem that I forgot to include those entirely relevant pices of information. I'll fix that up as soon as possible.

Post 5

TheGreatZarquon

Ok, I just got done fixing the article up. Changed to third-person, added more info and double-checked my facts, so hopefully I've gotten all the bugs out. Let me know if you find anything else in there so I can take care of it.

Thanks,
Z.

Post 6

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

This seems to be a very good Entry! Well done!

All I spotted was that you misspelled 'degredation'. It's 'degradation'.

Also, I wonder if the last couple of paragraphs aren't a tad subjective? It's probably OK.

Post 7

TheGreatZarquon

Fixed the spelling error. Thanks for pointing that out, it was so slight I missed it. But I feel better now that it's fixed.

Post 8

mrsshan

This may be a stupid question, is satellite radio different to digital radio?

I have a DAB radio that I just plugged in a has a better signal than analogue radio.

I think maybe you could distinguish between them.

Post 9

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

This could do with being broken up by headings smiley - smiley

Post 10

Mina

I think this would be great in the EG! I can't think of any other comments to make for it, what do other people think?

Post 11

Cyzaki

The prices at the end will date it somewhat...

smiley - panda

Post 12

Mina

I've been told in the past to leave them on as it's easy to update them. smiley - erm

Post 13

Sho - employed again!

that's confusing, every time I've seen things like that there have been comments about either anchoring them to a date, or to leave them out. smiley - erm

oh well

actually, I was going to say, that the sentence with the pricing makes the entry almost seem like an ad for radio satellite services.

Apart from that, this will be a nice entry when the PR points are seen tosmiley - ok

Post 14

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

'Subscriptions to these services will run you: $12.95 a month for XM and Sirius, and $9.99 a month for Worldspace'.

I agree that it will date the Entry and IMO prices should not be included. However the Entry on Stonehenge which recentky entered the EG has the current Admissionb Prices included smiley - shrug. It would make it more useful if you include the date (ie 2006) because that will enable readers to make some sort of judgement. smiley - ermsmiley - 2cents

Post 15

Mina

It was Paully who said that, and he's moved on now, so I can declare myself as a fan of *not* having prices in entries. Currency can completely change apart from anything else. smiley - laugh

Post 16

Mina

Also the date is on the entry, so there's not really a need to add the date (at the time of writing) perhaps?

Post 17

Mina

Author hasn't posted for two months. Flea Market for this one?

Post 18

echomikeromeo

I think so.

Post 19

FordsTowel

Hey, em? Have you any idea why this one get elvised, when it may be said that it was ready for editing for the EG?

Is it available for a FM pickup?

smiley - towel

Post 20

echomikeromeo

Can't say why GreatZarquon elvised, but the entry's now in the FM (A7236795), so take it and run with it!

Key: Complain about this post