A Conversation for Mary Toft - The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits

Brilliant

Post 1

Researcher5

I only just came across this article. It is terrific. I did a lot of 18th Century history at school and had a vague memory of a story like this. Indeed many years after leaving school I asked my, now retired, history teacher with whom I am friends, about my vague memory of a woman and an encounter with a giant rabbit in a field. He could not remember teaching me any such thing!But this must have been the story - a conflation of the real thing and Harvey I guess! Thanks very much for this.

Brilliant

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Excellent Entry indeed - vintage DG smiley - ok

Educational about various different topics - particularly interesting about the 'pig parts', as it reminds me of a memorable snippet my grandmother once told me, about how in the 1960s one morning she got out of bed and her liver and kidneys fell on the floor. She picked them up and put them in a bucket and went back to bed, and then she was fine the next day.

The 18th Century wasn't a period we studied much of at school, but I have certainly learned a lot more history via h2g2 since then smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Mary Toft - The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more