A rather harmless belief

Post 1

six7s

Hi Blathers,

A fascinating read - and one that is still generating debate smiley - ok

One (minor) point...

You say (re the Torah) <>

Ahem... harmless?

I suspect not... although I'm no historian...

Anyhoo, I have a hunch that all too many lives have been intentionally ruined 'in accordance with' the ignorance and hatred espoused in that most dreadful book

Perhaps an edit? Waddaya think?

Cheers
six7s

A rather harmless belief

Post 2

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Wow. My first response upon reading your criticism was, "Did I say that? What the hell would make me say something as stupid as that? Does that even sound like me at all?" At this point various conspiracy theories start popping into my head.

I suppose moments of senility such as this must be common regarding works as old as this one. If it seems like it was written by a different person, it's because, I suppose, I was a different person over five years ago.

Five years ago! Where did the time go?

Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

I *think* that what I was getting at there is that believing the things in there really happened is fairly harmless. I mean, so you think the sea parted and the Israelites escaped... big deal. For centuries we thought that Stonehenge belonged to the Druids and stone circles were part of their religion, until we found out differently. Anyway, it's just a story, and we tell bogus stories to our children all the time, without lasting damage. It's when the stories and the laws are used as a moral and legal compass that the problems arise.

I'm not sure I conveyed the distinction very well, or whether the point helps the article at all. I'm also not sure when I'll get the time to really review this and figure out a better way to say it. Methinks a rewrite of that whole paragraph would be necessary.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more