A Conversation for County Londonderry

UK Counties & Regions - NI - County Londonderry

Post 1

Paully

Anybody out there who could help us write an entry on County (London)Derry and its environs? smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 2

Lash LeRue

If I do do it, do I call it Londonderry or Derry?

On every map in Ireland it's Derry and on most maps in the UK its Londonderry... I might just call it it's original name Coleraine and save myself alot of trouble smiley - biggrin

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I believe that the residents of the town had a vote and decided to call it Derry. But the county is still a disputed area as to whether it is Derry or Londonderry.

Post 4

KB

I don't think it really matters which as long as you point out the whole name conundrum in the article. Most people I know (regardless of affiliation) just call it Derry though - probably because it's shorter more than anything else! Even one of the famous Orange songs is called "Derry's Walls".

Post 5

Number Six

They used to call it 'Stroke City' didn't they, because of the Derry/Londonderry issue, and they used to say 'Derry-stroke-Londonderry' on the radio? I remember reading that in an old interview with the Undertones - it was a way of saying where you were from without revealing whether you were catholic or protestant.

Oh, and of course The Undertones hailed from these parts...

smiley - mod

Post 6

Lash LeRue

Right then I'll write one up for it... hopefully smiley - erm... given enough time and encouragement... and smiley - cake, loads of smiley - cake

Post 7

Demon Drawer

Official Northern Irish Civil Service addressing protocol was Derry City Council, Londonderry, Co. Derry.

It was the council that voted to change the name of the council but could not change the name of the city. If NICS consider it to be county Derry that should be good enough for anyone.

Post 8

Lash LeRue

On second thoughts I mightn't be the best person to write this as I basically live on the complete opposite end of the island.smiley - erm

And I have a load of school work pilling up.

Post 9

Beatrice

Since I was born there, maybe I ought to do it.....

Post 10

Demon Drawer

I'm only the son of someone who was born there. smiley - winkeye

Post 11

Demon Drawer

Also from the other side of the family the grandson of one person who were born in the County and one who was edicated there.

Post 12

Beatrice

Well, I was born in Stroke City, grew up in Castlerock, went to school in Coleraine, and my parents still live in Portstewart....

I've now deserted and gone to Holywood smiley - laugh

I've made a start - feel free to chip in. smiley - smiley

Post 13

Beatrice

A6050477

Post 14

Demon Drawer

I'm working on Down seeing as was born there, educated there and my parents brother, sister-in-law and nephews all still live there. smiley - winkeye

I'll have a peek.

Post 15

Paully

Oooh, a great start there, Lucky Star - really looking forward to seeing a completed version! smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 16

Beatrice

Just heard that the first legal gay marriage will be held in Derry on 19th December, so that'd be a good time to publish this! And a good incentive for me to get it finished. What was it somebody said about deadlines?

Post 17

Paully

I'm delighted to announce that we already have two County entries in Peer Review, waiting to receive any bouquets or brickbats that people might lob in their general direction! If you're currently either working on or contributing to a County entry of your own right now, you might like to have a quick look to see how some other researchers have tackled this challenge. They are: County Fermanagh (A6092606) and Norfolk (A6108473).

Hope you enjoy reading them! smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 18

Stu

Wouldn't want the article to get mired in The Troubles, but one of the most recognisable images of Derry for outsiders would be the murals in the Bogside. Maybe this could be mentioned?

And one glaring omission - you forgot to mention Nadine from Girls Aloud! Seamus Heaney too.

Post 19

Beatrice

Thank you Stu - I shall add those bits to it now.

I'm hesitating on putting this forward simply because of the date 19th December, when Derry City Council is due to become the first to hold a same sex marriage ceremony.

If it goes ahead as planned, it will be worthy of note in the Entry.
But I don't want to presume that there will be no hiccups.

I suppose I could leave that bit out, although it is modern history in the making...

Thread Moved

Post 20

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Challenge h2g2' to 'County Londonderry'.

Key: Complain about this post